1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing New CPU what will happen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mickyblue, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickyblue

mickyblue Thread Starter

Hello, I currently have an ASUS M2R32-MVP board with an AMD 64x 2 4200+ and want to upgrade too an AMD Athlon64 X2 6400 SKT.AM2 (1MBX2). I was wondering what will happen to my operating system after i install it? will it still boot up or do i need to change something!
    also I was wondering if this upgrade was worth it the 200 dollars?

I am running windows XP special edition 64-bit

Thanks for the help

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The OS should have no problem. It's really the BIOS and board that has to be prepared for a new CPU with the clock speed and multiplier settings. Once that is done, the OS could care less. It should boot up like normal.

Hard to say if it was worth it. You will probably notice some difference, but a faster processor doesn't speed things up all that much since it is not really the part that slows things down to begin with. I guess only you can decide its "worth".

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have that same board/cpu combo here. It is a good system. I would clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. This insures you get the correct multiplier set for the new cpu.

One other item. I believe you need bios 1009 or later to run that cpu. Make sure of what bios version you have before you begin the swap.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice