Installing new drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mikcrw

Hi,

I want to install an extra drive in my PC to use as back up. I have been given one and what I really want to know is can I use the one I have been given and is it fairly straightforward.

The spare drive I have is a Seagate 500GB

Yes, it is easy and straightforward as long as the drive has the same connection as your PC (SATA or IDE). Since SATA has been the standard for a while it should not be an issue unless either your PC or the spare drive are old.
After that it's just a matter of having an empty bay to put it in, a SATA cable to connect it with, and power connection. You will probably need to initialize the drive.

Full instructions are here:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-install-a-sata-drive-in-a-windows-7-desktop.html

Good luck, it's actually a very simple process,.

mikcrw

Hello, thanks for the responce and for the link. One thing that concerns me is the part about static and screwdriver, it sounds as if this is potentially a big problem if I don't get it right. Are you able to elaborate on this ?

Thanks

just touch the metal of the computer case before u work inside a computer (to discharge static electricity)

mikcrw

Well opened up the case and there is no extra bay so all for nothing in the end !!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online