1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing New Graphics Card amd Power Supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dazzer8361, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dazzer8361

dazzer8361 Thread Starter

Hi, I am trying to fit a new pwer supply and graphics card to my PC. I Have purchased a Radeon Sapphire HD5770, 1GB GDDR5. I have also purchase a new 750w Power Supply (to replace the 300w power supply), which can connect directly to the Graphics Card.
    I have removed the exixting parts and fitted the new parts as per the instructions. When I go to power up the PC starts for a second or two then switches off. If switch on again the same happens. During this very short period the fans on both the CPU on the motherboard and the powers supply spin. I have tried just powering up with just the large connector that plugs into the motherboard but the same thing happens.
    I have now connected everything back up with the original power supply and graphics card and everything is OK again.
    I understood that installing a higher wattage power supply would not be a problem for the motherboard as it will only draw the power that it needs.
    If anyone can help to shed some light on where I am going wrong I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks, Darrell

Current Spec

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, x86 Family 15 Model 79 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 70557 MB, Free - 1432 MB; D: Total - 5739 MB, Free - 633 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NODUSM, 1.03, MB-1234567890

2. Irukku

Irukku

There's a little 4-lane power connector that goes to the motherboard along with the big one, check if you plugged that one. Sure a 750w PSU can handle your PC, so if the problem persists, you might have faulty hardware: test all of the parts, including your old video card and PSU.

3. dazzer8361

Thanks for your reply. On my old power supply, along the big connector that connects to the motherboard, there is also a 4-way connector with two yellow and two black wires which connect to the ATX12VI connector on the motherboard.
    My new power supply does not have this 4-way however it does have an 8-way connector which can seperate into two 4-way connectors. These have yellow and black wires also.
    Do I need to use one of these connectors and plug it it to the ATX12VI as with the old power supply.

4. Irukku

Irukku

You gotta separate the 8-way connector, and plug any of the 4-way ones to the motherboard, yes. ;)

5. dazzer8361

Great, I'll try that. Thank You

6. Irukku

Irukku

You're welcome. Lemme know if it works!

7. dazzer8361

Thank you very much Irukku. All works fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice