1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing New Harddrive with XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rjhalko, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjhalko

rjhalko Thread Starter

I got a new Removable Harddrive that I installed in my machine with XP. I tried using Fdisk but I got an error.
    How do I Partition the Disk. The disk is 20 GIG in size. Will XP see the whole 20 GIG as 1 Partition?:confused:
    Thanks,Randy

2. Firah

Firah

Hi, Randy!

In BIOS, set the CD-ROM as first boot option.

Insert the Win XP CD and bootup. You'll then get the option to delete partition, create partition, format and install.

3. rjhalko

rjhalko Thread Starter

I had no luck Partitioning the Drive in XP. So I put the Drive in a Win 95 machine and Ran Fdisk. Problem, The drive is 20 GiG and the Bios say's it's 20 GiG but Fdisk say's its only 8 Gig.
    What's the Deal???

4. rjhalko

rjhalko Thread Starter

The Drive is a Laptop drive that I'm going to use as a Removable Drive. Doe's that matter?

5. Firah

Firah

Not supposed to matter.

That's a limitation to the fdisk function....But what was the problem in trying to partition with the XP CD?

6. rjhalko

rjhalko Thread Starter

When I booted up with the CD that came with the Computer It Starts XP setup and I didn't think that was right.
    Is it?

7. Firah

Firah

That is the normal procedure. Let it continue and you will eventually be given the choices.

You do want to wipe the drive of all data, right?

8. rjhalko

rjhalko Thread Starter

Not my Primary Drive (c:) that already has XP on it. All I want to do is Install a second harddrive (d:) Partition and Format it.
    Randy

9. Firah

Firah

Not to worry! You will be given the choice of which drive you would like to format - C: or D: - make sure you choose D:

10. rjhalko

rjhalko Thread Starter

Thanks For all Your Help

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice