1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing new hardrive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rstanley, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

when I installed my new 40 gig harddrive it doesnt want to load past the compaq logo, but without it, it runs fine. What do you think could be the problem. Is it the pc it self or could it be the harddrive? By the way, thanks for all the help you have all given me in the past.:D

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is it installed as the primary drive or did you install it as a slave to your current drive? Sounds like it's not set up correctly in the BIOS.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Or you don't have it jumpered correctly if you are going to be using two drives.

4. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

I was just planning on useing a single drive, how would I go about useing 2. Also whats this about the bios. How do I set it up in the bios.

thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!

5. ~Candy~

So, now I'm confused. You say without the new hard drive, everything is ok, so I'm assuming that you've left the old drive in.

If you've disconnected it and are trying to boot with the new hard drive, without an operating system on it, it's not going to happen....you need to boot with a windows bootable floppy so that you can format the new hard drive.....

And Compaq puts a partition on their drives that allow you access to the bios setup, so I think you have to get that on the new drive as well if you will only be using it.

So, I guess, we need to know what your final plans are going to be.

6. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

Sorry to confuse you, i should of explained it better. Heres what i've been doing. I took the old HD out and put the new one in but it wouldnt start it just stays on the compaq logo, it doesnt even go to Dos. So what I did was leave the cover off and just left the new HD inside. Then I disconected the wires and p7(power supply7) and I conected it to the old HD, which is outside of the case)

By the way, is there a way I could create a bootdisk in windows on my HD or not?

I just bought Xp but I only have the expansion.

Also, will my sony vaio system recovery disk work as a boot disk on my compaq?

Thanks for the help and happy new years!!

:)

7. ~Candy~

Go here and download a bootdisk:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Save it to your desktop, double click on it, you'll be prompted for a blank floppy disk.......files will be transferred......

Now try booting to the new hard drive with that floppy in the drive.

By the way, did the new hard drive come with a setup floppy disk? If so, have you tried that?

No, the recovery disk isn't going to work in anything other than the computer it was prepared for.

8. brianF

brianF

to create a boot disk go to start/settings/control panel/add remove programs, startup disk tab, put a floppy in the drive and create one.

As far as the new harddrive, it won't work until its formatted at a minimum.

You need to boot up with the start up disk, once at the a prompt either type format C: (if you only have the new drive attached, recommended to eliminate formatting the wrong drive) or if you plan on partitioning the drive you will need to use fdisk, see the following article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q255867

Also if you plan on using both drives you would need to enter setup and enable the ide channel you have the extra drive setup on either primary slave, secondary master or slave, depending on where you put it.

9. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

I just got my harddrive installed, but am haveing trouble with the drivers. One of them is a luscent win modem, and3dfx voodoo. I believe thats their names. Is there a way I could download the drivers, and transfer them to the other pc. Oh, and by the way, how do I go about transfering data from one harddrive to the other. If i could do that then I would have no need to reinstall the drivers. Also should I remove 3dfx and install an ati radeon.

thanks for the help and happy new years!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :)

10. ~Candy~

11. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

I desided not to install the hardrive on my compaq, instead I installed on a pc i had built a couple years ago. Its faster than my compaq and has DVD rom. When I got it I never recieved any system recovery disk, OS for that matter. Shouldnt the drivers be listed on either the Xp or 98's disc.

Theirs no way I could download the drivers?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEARS[​IMG]

12. brianF

brianF

Sorry, little confused, is the problem solved or do you still need drivers, and if so , which ones. I know the voodoo drivers are still around for download, not sure about the modem

13. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

yes, I still need drivers.

Does this help any?
    Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 5.00.2614.3500
    Uptime: 0:03:28:27
    Normal mode

GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor
    128MB RAM
    79% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (9121MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 9121MB of 9756MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive D: 3072MB of 4869MB (FAT32)

lucent win modem is what I have I believe.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!

14. brianF

brianF

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice