1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing new Mobo NO bios beeps or video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SMASMASMA, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA Thread Starter

I'm intstalling a Shuttle AK35GTR Mobo, followed all the instructions but there are no bios beeps and no video.

Using an ATI 64 mb AGP video

DDR Ram 225.

Maxtor 160 gig hard drive that hasn't been formatted yet.

This is the second board. I had the same problem before and so I sent the mobo back thinking that the bios must be dead, but now I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I cleared the cmos on the new board but Ihaven't tried flashing it.

I switched video cards and monitors on the last board, which resolved nothing. I haven't tried it yet on the new board.

This motherboard, since it is the R version is supposed to have raid but judging from the picture in the manual in which the raid connectors look similar to the IED connectors, I do not believe that the raid connectors are actually on this board, which isn't a big deal with me unless it has something to do with the problem. The other board was the same.

2. rugrat

rugrat

Just a thought, what cpu are you using and what type of fan? That board has an onboard fan monitor so, if the fan is not plugged into the board---no boot. Another thing to check is to ensure the board is mounted correctly and not grounded to the case.

Let us know

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Where did you get this board? I searched for it on the web and found it to be an outdated board offered in 2002. Can one say outdated only a year and a half old? You bet, outdated can be last week in this field! It only offers 4X agp and a not so uptodate BIOS. Are you sure that these boards are new? Are you sure you dont have an AK35GT2/R motherboard? If not and you actually have the number you have listed that makes a big difference.

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

It would be my guess that stand offs were not used.
    If you get nothing at all (i.e. DOS), as rugrat stated, the motherboard is probably grounded to the case.
    In the package of the MOBO' there should be copper or brass stand offs you screw into the case and in turn, screw the MOBO' into them.
    Check that out.
    If that isn't the case...do any fans turn on at all?
    Your power supply shouldn't turn on if you are grounded to it.

Another thing I feel stupid for saying, but I've seen it B4....make sure your power supply rocker swich on the back is on - instead of O.

- = closed circuit
    O = open circuit

Let us know if our inquiries fix your problem or not.

5. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA Thread Starter

I have a brand new AMD Athlon 2000 CPU installed with new artic silver and a new Cooling fan that supports the latest CPU's. The fans are all plugged in.

I got the board at dumpinggoods.com. It doesn't bother me that it is older, it is still newer than the systems I put together a couple of years ago that are working well for my purposes, which involves office and graphics applications. I do not have a great deal of money to spend on my system at this time and the prices are good and the service is freindly and the delivery is very fast where I bought this mother board. I actually wanted the AK32 because it is supposed to be extremely stable but that was out of stock so I took the AK35. The Ak31,which I installed a couple of years ago and on which I am presently working has served us very well. I had some serious problems with my Soltek, which I believe may have been caused by bad thermal greese and that is why I have to replace that system at this time. The other Soltek I installed at that time is also working fine.

6. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Yeah, Acrilic Silver (it contains silver) which does conduct current.
    If you get it on the leads or anything else that can transfer current, it will short out.
    If you're lucky you can clean it up.
    If not....sorry bro.

7. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA Thread Starter

If the board were not grounded in the case, why would it be booting up at all? The lights go one and the fans whirl but no video and no beeps.

The pled connectors in the case are a little different than I am used to with one for the positive and another for the negative but since the lights are all working well, then I don't think that could be the source of the problem.

Is it possible that the little round battery on the computer could be dead? I have never had to replace one so it seems unlikely but its a thought.

I wrote to Shuttle support but they might take 72 hours to reply.

8. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

You didn't say that the fans whirled B4...maybe I mist' it in one of your posts.

Yes, your 3volt maybe dead but you could still boot (it holds BIOS info.)

1) Disconnect everything except MOBO' and 1 working hard drive to see if it boots (no PCI cards or anything else but the basics)
    2) Do you have Onboard Video? If so try that instead of the AGP
    3) If you have another PC or monitor try it.....it may be a bad video card or monitor.
    4)Take you board out of your case and try to boot it while not connected
    5) Take a GOOOOOOOD look at your MOBO.....you may have cut a trace/track/lead on the board while installing your components!

XOXOXOXOXO

9. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA Thread Starter

"Take a GOOOOOOOD look at your MOBO.....you may have cut a trace/track/lead on the board while installing your components!"

By this you mean a scratch, perhaps?

I've been studying it with a magnifying glass all day long and was very careful. I don't think it has any scratches.

I might try switching video cards etc, tomorrow, .....or maybe be patient and forget it until I hear from Shuttle. I tried all of those things the last time so I am anticipating the same results. There are instructions for flashing the bios both in the manual and on the web, which I also tried the last time, but I have a feeling that the solution may lie there, like there is something I am missing or haven't done right. It just seems like it is the bios because of the no beeps, unless audio isn't working.

10. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA Thread Starter

Here is a thought:

I was looking at the readme files on the disk and saw that the raid part of the bios can cause problems.

The board is packaged and labeled as the raid verson but where the raid connectors should be, I just see a series if metal dots.

There is also a non-raid version of this board. Perhaps the packaging is wrong and the board is actually the non-raid version but the raid bios has been installed on it.

If it were the case, I would have to reflash the bios with the non-raid version and since I reflashed the bios with the raid version on the last board that would explain why it didn't work. It would also explain why clearing the bios wouldn't work if the board had been set with the wrong bios in the factory.

The web instructions say that the board can be flashed but I haven't much experience with flashing and would like to know if there are any difficulties to watch for.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice