1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jac12, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I need to install a new video card. The one I now have is onboard with only 64 megs of ram. With this the kids can't even play The Sims with all the expansion pks. I bought one today that has 128 megs of ddr. I need to know how do I uninstall the one that is onboard to use this one?
    I have a K7SEM MoBo
    1.5Gig AMD Processor
    512 Megs of Ram
    Running winxp
    onboard video
    Changing to:
    Agp Gforce titanium Chaintech.
    128ddr
    It has it's own processor.

Could someone please tell me how to do this?
    Thanks, Jac

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

There may be an option in the bios setup to disable it.....or you can go into device manager and check the box to disable in this hardware profile for the onboard card.......or there may be a jumper on the motherboard that you will cover to disable it.......

3. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

One important question I forgot to ask. Do I disable the old card before I put the new one in? I have been reading the other questions on installing video cards and it seems like people are having a problem with a black screen if the new one does not work for some reason. If something goes wrong and you have a black screen how can you see to enable the old one again? lol. I know, I'm just a tad nervous.
    Thanks Jac

4. $teve

$teve

after you uninstall the on-board in your bios or in device manager.
    shut down and install the new card,its not a difficult job but make sure you earth yourself to the case metal while your inside.
    then windows should load and find new hardware.just walk through the steps to install the drivers.

if anything goes wrong just go back into bios and enable the old card and re-boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice