1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing NT Server 4

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mknott, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mknott

mknott Thread Starter

i know its old but its all i can afford unless somone wants to give me server 2k lol.

before i install it on a dual cpu machine (not a server just a dual cpu pc) is there anything i should be aware of as i have not installed nt server on a dual cpu pc before

2. Miltrez

Miltrez

It should run just fine on a dual processor (make sure to have SP-service pack- 4 ready to load). I have 3 Poweredge 2600 duals here that used to run NT4 SP4 with no hitch. Apps must be written however to take advantage of muti kernel processing. They don't take advantage of it by default.

3. mknott

mknott Thread Starter

unfortunatly i dont have sp4. should i download sp6a before i install nt4server then?

also the server is going to be a file server and a possiable web host for my website files so its mainly going to be just nt server installed

4. Miltrez

Miltrez

Yes, definitely 6a. Sp4 is the first one (if i remember right) that fixed mutli thread kernel crap outs.

I am sitting here looking at my file server load now, and the CPU is just dead (this one is a dual processor Xeon, 120 users running shared office suite/profiles/DNS/logons/AD). I think your web based traffic and file sharing will be more performance related to drive speed/access and network connections. Make sure these are beyond god-like and you will be a hero. :D

5. mknott

mknott Thread Starter

The pc im going to run it on is an real old pc... something like a dual 266 pentium, its got under 256mb ram.. could be under 128mb even and the hdd is old lol.

its going to be running at home so im not to worried about preformance as there will only be 2 users (not including webusers if i setup a website on it)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!