Installing NT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

janedoh

What is the pecking order here? my son insists that NT comes before Windows 98. Is this true?
I want to install Windows NT on my pc to compare to other operating systems I have used.
We are presently using Windows 98 SE.
I have all my files backed up and I have the installation diks to reinstall all my drivers. The NT setup came with all the floppys needed for installation. What can I expect when I reformatt the hard drive and prepare for install will I need to repartion the hard drive? I did this once before but it was guess work it worked but I now have no idea how I did it but I believe fdisk was involved.
Thanks.

Welcome to TSG, Janedoh,

Windows 98 should be on the Primary Partition and NT on a second partition

Have a read of M$KB 243896 to give you an idea of what to expect.

Remember that your WIN 98 won't see the NTFS partition, so you MAY need to place certain files on both partitions

janedoh

I do not want both systems on my pc just the Windows NT. So how would this be done from a-z how do I repartion etc I do not remeber. What is the pecking order is it 95,NT,98,98SE,ME,2000,XP
OR IS IT 95,98,98SE,ME,NT,2000,XP??????

janedoh

Sorry for the delay in an answer. The man up the way cut my phone line in half when cutting a new road.

I have windows NT Workstation.

95,98, ME, NT, 2000, XP is the pecking order but not essential if you know what you are doing with the boot.ini

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online