1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Office 2003 'on top of' Office 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by HumanBean21, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HumanBean21

HumanBean21 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been using Office 2003 with the serial number from the group licence purchased by my company.

Outlook and Word now tell me every day (!) that my copy is illegal. I have obtained an original CD from my company with it's own serial number.

I would like to install it 'on top of ' the installed version to legalise it. I have backed up the .pst & relevant files on another hard disk.

Can I simply install on top without losing data in my current installation, or do I have to uninstall & reinstall?

Thanks in advance,

HB21.

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

The serial number is probably stored on your computer somewhere (the registry maybe?). If you can find out where, you can probably just change it to the legal one without installing anything.

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

4. HumanBean21

Thanks, md2lgyk,

I've used LicenseCrawler and found the following information:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration\{xxx...}
    Product ID : xxx...
    Product Name : Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
    Decrypt Serial Number: xxx...

I've backed up my registry. Should I just change the Decrypt Serial Number to the one on the CD cover? That seems loigal to me...

Thanks,

BH21.

5. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Never done it, but that's what I'd try. At the worst, Office might somehow stop working and you'd have to do what you asked about in the first place.

6. HumanBean21

Ok, I got right into the Registry to try, but it doesn't actually show the serial number, only the Product ID. So I can't do it. I'll use the CD, having done a System Restore first.

Thanks for all your help. :eek:)

Regards,

HB21.

7. HumanBean21

md2lgyk,

I thought I'd just update you. I reinstalled using the CD (but forgetting to do a System Restore first - no problem on this occasion - phew!) and started using Office 2003 again.

I still got the message that my copy is not genuine! So I clicked on "Learn more...", and this is part of what Micro$oft says:-

(Quote): Many customers are surprised to learn that their Office software cannot be classified as genuine. Our goal is to help you understand the reasons why your copy did not pass validation, and to show you how you can address this situation.

Problem: The product key used to install Office has been identified by Microsoft as a key that was issued to a large, corporate customer. This key is reserved for the exclusive use of this customer, and cannot be used to install other copies of Microsoft Office.

Solution: If your computer belongs to a large organization and you believe you are receiving this message in error, talk to your system administrator.
    (End of Quote).

This is actually the position I am in, md2lgyk, possibly because I work from another country. It was my company's system administrator that sent me the CD! So that solution's out. I'll have to just go on clicking on "Remind me later" (which pops up each day).

There are. C'est la vie. On we go...

I hope this interests you and other possible readers who may have the same problem.

Kind regards, and thanking again for your help,

John.

8. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Interesting. I'd never heard of that. Guess it doesn't surprise me though.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice