Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installing Office 2007 Ultimate

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kiwiguy 
#1 ·
Pretty basic for those that know but I've just bought discs for Office 2007 Ultimate and need some reassurance. Do I need to completely unistall my current OEM (Dell) Office Professional 2003 before I begin and (knowing my luck if it all goes pear-shaped) will I be able to painlessly re-intall the OEM if neccessary (I have discs). Does one then have to download years of updates from the MS site or how does that work? Sort of trying to know the pit-falls before I start as I'm pretty much alone in this. Much appreciate any advice. :eek: Cheers.

#2 ·
There is a small bit of a problem when going from trial software to commercial versions, but that doesn't sound like your issue.

Going from any Office version to some newer version of Office should not be a problem, at all.

So, short answer, NO,
you should not have any issues in going from one version of Office to a newer version. All of your files will open just fine.

Even if you wanted to go from a trial version to a commercial or now-legal, paid-for version is not hard, as long as you follow the directions.

A COUPLE THINGS you may find different with Office 2007.
First is the new appearance of the controls. There is now the new "command ribbon" where all the old command selections now look different, and some things are moved. I don't like it, but I am slowly learning the new look.
I have read there is a way of shutting off the ribbon, to get back to the "old" way/look, but I haven't bothered. I want to learn what most people are going to suffer with.

Second) and this is the BIGGIE, all the files that you create are now going to be the new MS version of XML formated documents. That means your expected saves of ".DOC" and ".XLS" documents are now the new ".DOCX" and ".XLSX" file extensions.

You can change the default saving formats to be the old Office 97-2003 formats, if you want. Since the new .xxxX (X on the end) formats are unique to MS Office 2007, you might want to consider changing the defaults, if only to minimize the problems if you share your documents with others.

Office 2007 can still open and save either format, and many others as well. But changing the defaults to what we are used to might minimize the problems - for now.

#3 ·
I agree, but be aware that you can only have one version of Outlook running.

Basic advice is to always back up your valuable data before installing any such software, or weekly if not. I backup daily. Always work on the assumption that you may need to reinstall Windows in the worst case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.