1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing on a Dual Boot System

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by davidch805, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidch805

davidch805 Thread Starter

Hey all,

I got my copy of Vista Business in the mail today and I'm anxious to install it. I am going to initially put it on my laptop where I was testing a RC copy of Vista.

When I installed the RC copy I chose the route of a dual boot system to help avoid any complications with my current setup. Now that I have the final code I want to reformat the drive with RC on it but continue my dual boot setup. Can I simply just insert the DVD from the running XP OS and then choose the partition I want Vista to install to?

Thanks
    David

2. danjwalker

danjwalker

You can. When you install, you change select drive options when it asks you where to install it. From there, you can format and stuff. As long as the drive you leave in tact is the primary boot drive, there should be no problem.

3. davidch805

Thank you sir. I shall proceed cautiously today. Now if only my KVM switch was Vista compatible. :(

David

4. MMJ

MMJ Guest

hmm... isn't a kvm switch where you use one keyboard, one mouse, and one moniter with 2 computers?

That shouldn't depend on the software.

5. davidch805

I wouldn't thank so either. But this particular switch does not work when booting into Vista.

From http://belkin.com/flip/specs/

System Requirements Windows® 2000, XP, 2003

I would guess that since it's a USB KVM that that is where the issue is.

6. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Oh, ok. :)

7. danjwalker

danjwalker

There may be a way to boot into vista then reset the KVM by holding down a button on it. Most of them do. I have a Belkin USB KVM and its horrid. My supplier said more belkin products come back than any other. Their network cards are the worst ever. Always dropping connection. 6 or 8 different drivers for virtually the same functionality. You get what you pay for.

8. gurutech

gurutech

I have a couple Belkin wifi pcmcia cards - no problems with them...

9. techy689

techy689

Hey davidch805.... there is software which does the same exact thing as that Belkin switch you were talking about. Best of all that software is free. I don't remember what it is called, but I remember seeing a video for it at cnet.com ... look in videos, because it was a video, and see if anything comes up...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice