Installing over Red Hat

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tehon3299

I had Red Hat Linux installed on my hard drive and now I just want to erase it and install 2000 Professional. I deleted all the partitions and started the 2000 installation but whenever I restart the Linux GRUB loader tries to load and just restarts the computer. Any suggestions?

Do you have a partition utility such as partition magic? If so then use it to delete all partitions on the drive first then make one large drive and again use partitiom magic to format the new partition(S). You may have to run format as much as twice to remove the linux partition if it was ext 2 or ext 3 or reiserfs.

P

Paul Rosso

I have Suse8.2 and I hate to say it but Linux distibutions are starting to be very "Windowslike" as time goes on.

P

Paul Rosso

they are pushing it like crazy right now,got it directly from them for 39.99 +shipping

I talked to a tech teacher couple weeks ago and recommended acquainting myself with it. Think i may

crjdriver

I have seen a few problems with trying to install win2k / xp onto a hd that had linux installed on it previously. Download the hd mgf’s utility and write zeros to the drive; now boot with the win2k cd and partition / format / install.

LwdSquashman fdisk /mbr

This will repair the master boot record.Good if you have a problem booting your OS but has npthing to do with loading an os or overwriting a partition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online