1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing primary slave (hard drive)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hush, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hush

Hush Thread Starter

i have plugged in a 80gb hdd as a primary slave to a 20gb hdd... both are connected with one cable.

when i open Bios to detect the HDD it begins to detect it but stops and freezes before it can calculate the HDD space.

when i load the computer without going into bios it gets to the menu where u can press F8 for the different loading options and it recognises the new HDD as the primary slave (its on auto detect). BUT it says the HDD only has 65GB when by itself it usually says it is 75.

The computer loads fine and it detects new hardware, but it does not assign a drive letter to the slave.

I am using win98... the two harddrives are

Segate 20GB 5400 RPM
    Western Digital 80GB 7200 RPM

help would be much appreciated.

2. raybro

raybro

You may need to do a BIOS update in order to detect drive larger than 32Gb. Or you could consider partitioning the drive into smaller segments that can be recognized by your BIOS. Here is a good site for reference. Win98 will not recognize a drive that has not been formatted (generally in FAT32)

http://fdisk.radified.com/fdisk_02.htm

Personally I use Partition Commander (similar to Partition Magic) for all my partitioning work. It's simple to use and works great.

3. Hush

Hush Thread Starter

this hardrive has been a slave before, so it actually has data on it, thats the reason i have it on another computer so that the data can be shared easier.

I am not sure if this drive is NTFS, if this is the case, will it not be detected by windows 98? How can i check if it is NTFS?

4. raybro

raybro

If the drive is formatted in NTFS, Win98 will not detect it.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Go into Fdisk and LIST the drive partitions

6. raybro

raybro

Go into fdisk (Start|Run type in fdisk and OK). Hit enter when asked about large disk support. type the number 5 and hit enter. type in 5 and hit enter. Type in 4 and hit enter. The type of format will be shown under "System"

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice