1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing program on XP for single user

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by horatio22, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horatio22

horatio22 Thread Starter

We currently running Windows XP Home on our 2 Pc's at home. Four people use the PC's and we each have our own logons.

Is there a way so that when my son installs new software, (he seems to install about 10 new programs per day), it will ONLY populate his program list on his logon and NOT the program list for the other 3 users of the PC ? It is very frustrating :eek:

I notice that some installations ask if there will be a single or multiple users of that program, but what I would really like is to be able to be selective EVERY TIME.

Your help will be appreciated.

2. colmaca

colmaca

I think the best way is to manually do it as I think there no way in stopping it happing.
    Open C:\Documents and Settings you will see a All users folder look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    If you copy all there and move to each users C:.......\Start Menu you can delete it from All users start menu folder and start to clean up your own menues
    1)summary copy C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    2)paste to every users C:\Documents and Settings\Everyuser\Start Menu
    3)delete whats in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    4)clean up your start menu

hope this helps

3. horatio22

horatio22 Thread Starter

Colmaca,

Thank you very much for your assistance - I will tidy up my logon tonight

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/504917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice