1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing programs in Linux(Red Hat 9)

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Hydan4, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hydan4

Hydan4 Thread Starter

Ok, I am trying to configure Red Hat 9 to meet my needs, and I'm trying to install programs such as Firebird and Thunderbird.

I have installed Firebird into "/home/nonrootusername/Programs/Mozilla Firebird"

The executable to run Firebird is labeledd "Mozilla Firebird" but everytime I double click the file to run it, I get this popup:
    Mozilla Firebird is an executable text file, do you want to run it or display it's contents?
    I get these options below the message:
    "display" "Run In Terminal" "Cancel" "Run"

Also, the icon for Mozilla Firebird doesn't look like the one for Windows, it looks like most of the other files in the folder(blank sheet with a crank in the middle).

I was reading a tutorial for linux and it said I should install all binaries into the "/usr" directory and all programs that haven't been extracted to either "/usr/src" or the "/usr/local/src" directory, but anytime I try to create folders there, the computer basically says I have to be logged on through the root user because I don't have priviledges to do so. So does that mean when installing applications, I need to be logged in through the root user? Any kind of help is appreciated greatly.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yep or you need to have Sudo installed on your system. Which will let you execute alot of things that root can do.

3. lynch

lynch

I am really curious as to (1) what method you're using to install these programs and(2) what kind of installation package(rpm,tar.gz) you're using?
    I'm sure we can sort this out.
    lynch

4. Hydan4

Hydan4 Thread Starter

(1) I'm using file roller to extract the files
    (2) .tar.gz for firebird, the only program I've installed.

Should I uninstall the program and install it in the "/usr" directory through the root user?

If I do install in the "/usr" directory, could I create the folder "Program" and create another folder called "Mozilla Firebird": "/usr/Programs/Mozilla Firebird"

I would then install all programs such as Xime and Thunderbird in the "Programs" folder with their own "Xime" "Thunderbird" folders.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Does firebird not have a compile script and or make file?

If it does to install..

1. gunzip it
    2. if it is bzipped the unzip that
    3. tar xvf mozillafirebird file.
    4. cd into the directory
    5. run ./configure let it do its thing
    6. as root run make install
    7. if running a c shell type in rehash
    8. run the firebird binary.

6. Hydan4

Hydan4 Thread Starter

You just spoke way over my head :)

I don't know what a compile script or a make file is.

Could you please be more specific on the instructions?

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

after you unzip it, could you post the contents of the directory. If you see inside the directory somthing called configure then type in

./confugure

at the command prompt. It should list everything.

Then after thats finished type in

Make Install

as root.

8. Hydan4

Hydan4 Thread Starter

/home/username/MozillaFirebird/defaults/autoconfig

In this folder there are two files:

platform.js and prefcalls.js

are one of these the file you were talking about?

9. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

? ok, perhaps i should try to talk you through a full reinstall.

First off, delete anything in your home dir relating to Firebird (excluding archive)

Re download firebird, if you forgot to keep the archive.

now unzip it. I dont know what its it in, but i'm assuming you know how to unzip archives.

go to the dir it unipped.

inside look for files called configure and files called Makefile.*

on the command line run "./configure"

now type in make install

that should do it.

10. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Ok, i finally dled FIrebird. Once you unzip, all you should have to do is type in ./MozillaFirebird

It worked for me, so i'd suggest you try it.

11. Hydan4

Hydan4 Thread Starter

type "./mozillafirebird" in what?

12. Hydan4

Hydan4 Thread Starter

I typed "./MozillaFirebird" in the Run Program dialog box and it opened the folder where the application is held. Is that what you're talking about?

13. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

ok, sorry, but using the guiis really crappy when installing.

Open a terminal window. Then cd to the firebir directory

them type in ./MozillaFirebird

Its a wrapper for the binary.

14. Hydan4

Hydan4 Thread Starter

That runs Firebird which I already know how to do, but now I know how to open it a different way :)

What directory is firebird installed on your computer? (mine is "/home/username/MozillaFirebird") Is the binary in the proper directory?

A few more questions:

I notice, if I drag the "Mozilla" browser icon(or any other program icon) on the taskbar to the desktop, it doesn't have it is magnified and the size isn't listed, nor is there a green arrow on the icon. When I create a link(shortcut) to Firebird, I get the file size and the arrow. How can I make the icon look like the one's dragged from the taskbar to the desktop?

Also when I run F-bird by browsing to the directory and double clicking on the icon, or by double clicking the icon on the desktop, a popup window appears saying the file is an executable text file, and asks if I want to run the file or display its contents. Is there a way to just run the program everytime by double clicking the icon?

Thanks a lot for your help Whiteskin and others.

15. Hydan4

Hydan4 Thread Starter

I just now got through installing Gaim, it was SO easy. All I had to do was extract the files, duplicate the binary and put the duplicate on the desktop, no green arrows, no file sizes, and popup windows when double clicked (y)

I also didn't have to locate the icon for Gaim like I had to for F/Tbird.

What's up with Firebird and Thunderbird?! Why can't these programs' install process be as easy.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice