1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing RAM seems easy, but......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jageorge72, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jageorge72

jageorge72 Thread Starter

....I'm afraid to do it!

Actually, it's for my parent's computer....so I don't want to screw anything up. They have:

HP Pavillion, 700MHz Intel Celeron processor, 64 Meg of SD RAM, Chipset: Intel 82810, & Windows ME.

I was thinking of buying 256 Meg of (I think....) PC133 SD RAM. (Saw it at Sam's Club for $34.99!)

After tons of reading, I guess I still have 2 questions:
    1. Can I plug it in alongside the 64 Meg card, or should I just get rid of the 64 Meg memory?

2. Is PC133, DIMM what I want, or should I find PC100 DIMM?

Many thanks for any help!!!!!

Also, let me ask......how do I know how many "pins" I need? I've seen 168 & 144 pin RAM for sale. How do I determine which my computer requires?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The memory should plug in just fine. It is keyed on the bottom so will only go in one way. Make sure you ground yourself before handling it.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    What's the model number of the Pavilion?

As a guess, judging by the processor speed, it most likely has 168 pin DIMM PC100 memory in it now but if you know the model number, we can check the HP support site to be sure.

4. jageorge72

XE748 That's what's on the front of the tower, anyway

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    The 256MB PC133 SDRAM 168 pin DIMM strip will work fine but I doubt the 64mb strip will work with it. I'd suggest just installing the 256mb strip by itself.

BTW, make sure the strip is "Non-Parity" RAM.

6. jageorge72

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Is there any harm in just installing the 256MB card, even if it doesn't work with the 64MB card? Will it just override it?

Also.....is PC133 compatible with PC100? I thought I read that it was, but maybe I'm wrong?

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You can try it. You'll know pretty quickly because it won't boot. Sometimes you can mix and match and sometimes it just won't work.

BTW, that particular processor runs at 100mhz bus speed but you'll most likely end up paying more for PC100. Usually about $15-20 more for a 256mb strip of the older PC100. That's why I suggested just getting PC133. It should work fine and probably cost you less but it will only run at 100mhz due to the processor specs.

If you really want 320mb, find a strip of 256mb PC100, then you could probably get away with adding it along with the 64mb strip.

8. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

Have a look at http://www.crucial.com

You enter the make and model of your computer and it tells you exactly what memory will work and also provides details of all the technical jargons used.

Do this before you buy and experiment.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm somewhat confused about this statement. If you have a MB that supports ECC, IMO you should CERTAINLY use it, cuts way down on the unexplained crashes. If your MB doesn't support parity, it won't care if the memory has an extra bit, it will just go unused.

The only case where it might make a difference is if you can't adjust parity checking in the BIOS, and you have non-parity memory already installed. In this case, if the parity memory is in the first slot and gets detected first, the MB sometimes gets annoyed when it finds non-parity RAM later in the scan. :)

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Before I posted last evening, I looked at the specs for his system at the HP tech site and at the Crucial site.

Mahmud, the Crucial site was a good suggestion but I want you to know, I don't make suggestions without checking reference sites first and when it comes to memory Crucial is the only site that I've always trusted and used in the past short of the PC makers technical specs site. I usually check both to be sure there's no discrepancies before making a recommendation.

John, I understand your comments but I always air on the safe side here when making suggestions so I'm not going to suggest getting RAM that's not technically supported and/or not recommended by HP or Crucial and they both suggest non-parity RAM.

Anyway, what I found was, the HP Pavilion uses either PC100 or PC133 SDRAM 168 pin non-parity DIMMS and that's what I feel comfortable suggesting. If anyone wants to suggest that they get something other than what's recommended for that system, feel free to do so.

BTW, <a href=http://www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/memorytype.asp?model=Pavilion+XE748&memtype=ECC_VS_PARITY> here's </a> what Crucial has to say about the non-parity/ECC parity RAM issue.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice