1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing RedHat & Win2K in Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by BlackHorseman, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi,

Well, I want to backup my system (nearly finished now :)), then re-partition the HD, and install RedHat 8.0 (got it on 5 CDs, DLed their images & burned them) and Windows 2000 Professional in a dual boot system.

Can anyone tell me whoch programs to use (for bootmanaging, for instance) and if I may be rude, how to do the whole process step by step?
    :D

Thanks,
    Daniel.

2. lynch

lynch

I would delete all partitions and make a clean hdd and install 2000 first.

**Before you do anything,enter the bios setup of your computer and set it to boot from CD-rom and also disable Plug and Play OS**

A few things to consider:
    1.If you use RedHat 8,and you want to have access to your w2k partition;you must format the w2k partition as fat32.RH does'nt support ntfs out of the box or even include the ntfs module on the CDs.
    2.When you reach the partitioning stage of w2k,(you should have decided by now how big a partition you want for Linux )create and format the partition for w2k,leaving the unused/unformatted free space left for RH 8.RH will see the unused space when you're in the partitioning stage of the RH setup.
    3. When asked during the RH setup about the bootloader,choose to put it on the MBR.The newest versions of the Lilo and Grub bootloaders will configure the dual-boot option for you.RH uses the Grub bootloader as default now,as I recall.
    That should be all you need for a basic dual-boot setup.
    HTH
    lynch

3. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi,

First, thanks :).

Second: What's MBR?

And, I understand that Grub will, after the installation of RH, become the boot manager of my conputer, right? Instead of what Win2K installs.

Daniel.

4. lynch

lynch

MBR=Master Boot Record.
    Grub will be the bootloader so you can choose between Linux and windows but the w2k bootloader will remain.It will kick in when you choose w2k.
    I think you have a choice of bootloaders--Grub or Lilo--during installation with RH 8.It will install automatically to the MBR. Either bootloader is OK,though I like Lilo just because I know it a little better.Grub writes its menu.lst a little differently than lilo.conf(these are the configuration files for them).As I recall from a previous thread,both of these files are present but only one works,depending on which BL you choose.I guess the other one is there to make switching bootloaders(geeky fun :rolleyes: )a little easier.
    lynch

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!