1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing SATA Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by howard.a.s, Apr 20, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

Hi all. I hope someone reading this post can please offer me some helpful advice. Although I now use Windows 7, I also have a PC still running XP 32 bit. The hard drive of this XP computer has begun to make noises consistent with impending failure and so I'd like to migrate all of the data from this existing drive over onto a new drive. The existing hard drive is PATA and the new drive is SATA. The XP installation disc does not include drivers to support SATA and so I will need to visit my mainboard manufacturers website to download RAID drivers, save these to a floppy disc and slipstream these into the XP installation as and when asked whether I'd like to install a 3rd party driver. I'm okay with all of this except that when I download and unpack the RAID driver package zip file there appears to be literally dozens of files contained. How can I know for certain which is the correct file/driver to use?

This leads me to wonder whether instead of installing XP onto my new drive as a fresh installation I might be better off cloning my existing drive using some suitable free software. If I were to choose this option instead, please can you suggest free cloning software; software that is simple to use and which will achieve reliable results? Also, would I still need to install SATA drivers before being able to clone, and how would I do this - I mean, let's say I have the correct drivers on a floppy disc - how would I copy these to my shiny new SATA hard drive ahead of beginning the cloning process? If my new hard drive is larger in capacity than my existing hard drive, what happens to the unused space left after the cloning process has been completed? Would I still be able to make use of this free space?

Here is what SiSoft Sandra has to say about my motherboard:

Manufacturer : TriGem
    ID : FFFFFFFF-FFFFFFFF******************

Mainboard
    Manufacturer : ECS (Elitegroup)
    Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
    Multi-Processing (MPS) Version : 1.40
    Model : SiS-661
    BIOS : 08/30/2005-SiS-661-6A7I4E1AC-00
    Chipset : SiS 661/FX

Chipset
    Model : ECS SiS661FX CPU to PCI Bridge
    OEM Device Name : SiS SiS661FX CPU to PCI Bridge
    Revision : B2
    Bus : Intel AGTL+
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz)
    Maximum FSB Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz)
    Width : 64-bit
    HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : Yes
    I/O Queue Depth : 12 request(s)
    Priority Master Queue Depth : 7 request(s)
    Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 6.25GB/s
    Maximum Power : 4.130W

Chipset 1 Hub Interface
    Type : MUTOL
    In/Out Width : 16-bit
    Duplex : No
    Multiplier : 2x

Disk Controller
    Model : ECS SiS5513 EIDE Controller (A,B step)
    OEM Device Name : SiS SiS5513 EIDE Controller (A,B step)
    Interface : ATA
    Revision : A2
    Channels : 4

Disk Controller
    Model : ECS SiS 180 RAID Controller
    OEM Device Name : SiS SiS 180 RAID Controller
    Interface : ATA
    Revision : A2
    Channels : 4
    and here is what I believe to be the manufacurers drivers page from which I have downloaded the RAID drivers:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_DOWNLOAD/EN/Motherboard/661FX-M -LL-V1-DO-0B-RR-/Socket 478-LL-Intel-RR-

Once on the downloads page, I select Windows XP 32bit edition from the drop down menu and then proceed to download and unzip the RAID(1) file.

Any constructive help and advice would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Does your Windows XP 32-bit install disc include Service Pack 3?
    If it does, you should be able to do a clean install just fine in a SATA hard drive.
    I know that for a fact because I've done it many times.

I know nothing about cloning, so someone else here will need to address that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I will check on that, but if my memory serves me correctly then I think my installation disc is of a version before SP3 and that I downloaded SP3 from Microsoft and installed this later on. I have SP3 on a separate disc, but guess this wouldn't help when installing from scratch?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your Windows XP 32-bit install disc contains Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 and doesn't contain Service Pack 3, I'm pretty sure it doesn't support SATA hard drives.

I use a Windows XP SP3 32-bit install disc which is integrated to April 2014 - the "end of life" date when Microsoft stopped all official support for Windows XP.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. cornemuse

cornemuse

I have an 'ecs nforce 6m-a2', (no onboard grafix card) like at least 10 years old. 2 ide & 4 sata ports.

I plugged in a sata drive, installed xp 32 sp-2, then mobo drivers (came with mobo cdrom), grafix drivers, then sp-3. Never specifically installed any sata/raid anything. I never had any issues with sata, ever. (well, some issues with sata ssds) Works fine with XP 64 bit too.

If your mobo has sata ports, you shouldnt have issues with sata drives, , , , , , I prefer WD hdds, they now are listed as needing W 7 & above, but still work just fine for me = XP.

Also, I only set bios boot priority = hdd 1st, cdrom 2nd, disable fdd, nothing else in bios.

-c-

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In the Bios under Integrated Peripherals > SIS OnChip PCI Device - set SIS Serial ATI Mode to IDE if it's not already, then XP will install without needing a Sata driver.

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    In the Bios under Integrated Peripherals > SIS OnChip PCI Device - set SIS Serial ATI Mode to IDE if it's not already, then XP will install without needing a Sata driver.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!