1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing second cd-rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freddyboy, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

Is there anything special I need to know before trying to install a second cd-rom in winxp. Right now I have my cd burner connected to my motherboard directly. The ribbon used has another connection for another device.

Now I connect my second cd-rom with that extra connection on the ribbon and set that second cd-rom to slave while my cd burner is set to master.

Tried once and winxp did not recognize it.

Is there anything special I need to know?

Thanks in advance,
    Fred

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Try leaving both set to CS (cable select). As long as the burner is on the end connector, it should be recognized as master.

3. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

Thanks I will try that. I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks Again,
    Fred

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's only true if the cable is actually wired for CS, most 40 conductor cables are not, they're straight through, and jumpering both drives for CS will fail. I believe most 80 conductor cables do support CS jumpering, but I obviously haven't tested them all. :)

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Interesting point. :) But then we don't know what type of cable he's using. ;)

6. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

More interesting is that I don't know how to check what type of cable is in my system. I have to guess that it's a pretty standard cable. As far as putting both cd-roms on cable select it didn't work. I thought this would be an easy thing to do and I've built 4 systems in the last 6 years no expert but no dummy either.

Thanks Guys any other comments on this issue will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Fred

7. Rockn

Rockn

Set the jumper on the CD-R to master, CD-ROM jumper to slave, cable up the ribbon cables with the pin 1 orientation correct, connect power connectors to both drives and boot up. Watch the boot summary screen to see if it gets picked up by the BIOS and if it does that should be all there is to it. No need to install the driver disk that came with it.

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You could also try putting CDrom as slave on the cable with the HDD.

9. freddyboy

freddyboy Thread Starter

I'll try all these variables but again damn computers there is no way to just do things one way (a standard) it always has to be difficult and a hundred ways to do things. It's all good it just makes one smarter i guess.

Again thanks for all the help I will try all your suggestions!

Fred

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice