1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing second SATA drive advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joogs, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joogs

Joogs Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm not really clued up on hardware issues like installing hard drives (at least, SATA ones) etc so I'm looking for some help please.

I have a spare hard drive bay in my PC and it's SATA connections on my motherboard. I have four SATA ports, two of them together (with one hard drive already connected) and two in a different area (with DVD drive already connected).

I bought a new SATA drive to add to the one I already have installed, but forgot to buy a SATA cable to connect it! (There is a spare power connector for the new drive.)

What I need help on is what type of cable to buy. I've had a look around but there are so many different ones and I'm lost as to which to go for. Is cable or connector colour important? Anything else I need to know before making a decision?

Thank in advance,
    Joogs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice