1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Installing SharePoint?!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by madstamoo, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madstamoo

madstamoo Thread Starter

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTER SOFTWARE/HARDWARE/CODES AND ALL THAT CONFUSING STUFF OK?? I would really love some help - I'm trying to install SharePoint so I can edit all my documents from multiple devices without having to constantly put new versions of my documents on the cloud. (Will it even do that?!) Anyway, I went and installed designer and it was like NO you have to install foundation so you can create a new sharepoint thingo!! So I did, and I installed the prerequisites but then it was like well NO you can't install this because you don't have windows server 2008 r2 SP1!! what does that mean???!! can I get that? SHOULD I get that??? How can I get around this? Also my computer details are this:
    upload_2016-10-31_17-42-34.png upload_2016-10-31_17-42-34.png

2. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

Hi,

SharePoint is designed to run on a SERVER operating system. It will not run on a client operating system.

madstamoo likes this.
  3. madstamoo

madstamoo Thread Starter

Thanks for replying! What does that mean?

4. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

Simply speaking you cannot use Sharepoint on your PC to edit you documents, cause it is used on a server which is a device that is used to provide a service to other computers, it is a centralised unit.

I have a question for you, what are you trying to do with your documents? use and edit them on different devices?

5. madstamoo

madstamoo Thread Starter

So does that mean there's no way I can use sharepoint? I feel so tech-dumb right now XD Well I just want to be able to edit a word document on my iPad or any other device where I'm logged into my Office account, and then those edits show up on any other device I'm using Word on. Does that make sense?

6. madstamoo

madstamoo Thread Starter

To contextualise, I switch between using my iPad and using my laptop at school, and I want all my documents to be on BOTH of those devices constantly with the most recent versions. Currently I'm having to email all my documents between devices after each class and it SUCKS. I thought maybe a Sharepoint would fix this???

7. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

Do you have microsoft office 2016?

8. madstamoo

madstamoo Thread Starter

Just installed it yesterday :)

9. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

Do you have one drive installed on your devices? The image below is the logo for one drive

Attached Files:

madstamoo likes this.
  10. madstamoo

madstamoo Thread Starter

I think so, but isn't that the one where you have to upload your documents to the drive every time you change them?

11. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

12. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

Once you have all the documents present in One Drive you can access the documents on any devices as well as edited and save them back to the One Drive and your documents are safe as One drive is cloud based and can be accessed on any device if you know your username and password.

13. madstamoo

madstamoo Thread Starter

Awesome! So will it save to the drive as well as the device? Or do I have to choose one or the other?

14. weirdtoys

weirdtoys

You have to choose, but you can save it on one drive and then on your PC if you want

15. madstamoo

madstamoo Thread Starter

So let's say I'm doing an assignment on my iPad - I create the word doc etc. and then go to save it on One Drive. If I then have to work offline (for some reason) one day, will I still be able to access the document, even though its on the drive and not local? Thank you so much for all your help by the way :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice