1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing SP2 juss stuck, computer or update software not frozen(pic included)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kilah, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kilah

kilah Thread Starter

ok I had Windows 2000 which was really good, best OS EVER..anyways i upgraded it yesterday to Windows XP Sp1 i did the updates and SP2 is the next update, but my computer it doesnt freeze but the installaion juss stuck at 1/6 but the update software is not frozen or anything the also i have tried downloading sp2 and installing it manually no luck same problem.

Here's The Link of the situation
    http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/19834/2000720925792572702_rs.jpg

2. Alex4

Alex4

Running that install can take a very long time. If it does not budge in 20 minutes, it won't go. SP2 can hate some hardware components. If your computer is quite old, chances are SP2 will be a no go. I have heard a bunch of horror stories relating to SP2. Also, you could try installing it in safemode, so nothing is running but it.

3. kilah

kilah Thread Starter

iv had sp1 b4 and i updated it same computer is there any to bypass sometihng... ok so whats the problem y is it not progressing?

4. Alex4

Alex4

I don't believe there is any way to bypass certain things. SP1 is different...SP2 was a comp killer. Like I said, try it in safemode to ensure no programs that are running are interfearing with it.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

SP2 generally goes in smoothest when you install it immediately after installiing XP . . before any drivers or other software.

6. kilah

kilah Thread Starter

i tried to update in safe mode and safe mode with networking but yet the same problem juss stuck in limbo but not frozen uuhhh this so fraustrating plz someone out there HELP ME

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

See this for how to prepare for SP2 . .

Then download the full SP2 package and install from it.

Before the upgrade, disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed. This will minimize the chance of error.

If that does not do the trick, consider reinstalling and upgrading to SP2 immediately after the installation. . . or installing with a slipstreamed disc

8. kilah

kilah Thread Starter

# Double click on the self extracting Service Pack 2 installation file.

* Take note of where the files are being extracted to "ie: G:\f08f4e9b56a1c1ad94\i386\"

# After all the files have been extracted the installer will begin.

* Do not click on "I Agree" or "Next" until after you have performed the following steps

# Double click on "My Computer" on the desktop.

* Navigate to the location of the temporary files for the Service Pack installer.
    * ie: G:\f08f4e9b56a1c1ad94\i386\
    * Go one step further by entering the "update" directory.
    * G:\f08f4e9b56a1c1ad94\i386\update\

# Now here you will see both the installer file "update.exe" which is already running, as well as our culprit "FixCCS.exe
    # Right click on "FixCCS.exe" and chose "rename"

* Rename "FixCCS.exe" to something like "FixCCS_disable.exe"

# After you have accepted the changes, you can proceed through the installation as normal.

* You will immediately notice that since you renamed "FixCCS.exe" it will not be loaded by the Service Pack 2 installer. Thus, your CPU will run like normal and will not be running at 100%
    * You will also notice that the installer quickly runs through "Running necessary processes before install"

# Finally, the installer will complete and you will be given the option to "restart later" via a checkbox. I suggest just restarting immediately

I did this and got way past the checking 4 space and what not and to the actual installation but in the middle of the installation i got an error ACCESS DENIED

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!