1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing SSL certificate

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by nwrfoto, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwrfoto

nwrfoto Thread Starter

I have a SSL certificate installed on a CENTOS server via plesk control panel.

the problem is that although the certificate appears to work fine it throws up a warning message to new users asking them to add an exception. Some of these warnings look quite scary to any potential customer.

So why is this? the certificate is issued via godaddy and is for my own domain name.

When I look at the certificate details it actually appears to be issued by Plesk (as in a self signed cert).

Any ideas what I can do to remove this message for my customers?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Are you using the latest Plesk Control Panel, Stable release 9.3.0 / December 2009? Also, OpenSSL 1.0 has just been released - are you using that?

I would first look into your configuration files to see if there is one for SSL certificate authorization, and perhaps there is a configuration value that could be reset to attenuate the warning.

Note: GoDaddy and Verisign are fairly reliable. What is not reliable is that SSL certificates can be spoofed with man-in-the-middle attacks (in the security blogs lately).

You can always ask GoDaddy for support in the matter. They should know what to do.

-- Tom

3. nwrfoto

nwrfoto Thread Starter

I am using plesk 9.0.1 as this is the version provided by my host.

I actually followed the instructions provided by GoDaddy for plesk and everything seemed fine with one exception - although the process requires that you enter owner details none of these appear when i click view certificate via the browser -the only information that shows up is that the ssl certificate was apparently issued by plesk!

as for open SSL - I really have no idea how this works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice