1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing third hard drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PODNickerz, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PODNickerz

PODNickerz Thread Starter

Hello,

My computer origonally had 2 hard drives on primary cable and 1 cd on secondary

I just connected a third hard drive to the secondary cable and set the jumpers to "master with slave"

Is that what i am supposed to do?

I went into bios and the hard drive was secondary master and the cdrom was secondary slave

But when i go into windows it does not show on "my computer"

What do i do? Did i do this stuff correct?

(Please explain simple i do not know much about computers, i just used common sense)

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

What make and model computer? Some use cable select jumpering. The master drive connects to the end of the data cable while the slave connects to the middle. How are your first two hard drivers jumpered now?

3. bigbear

bigbear

As you confirmed that bios recognizes the drive, all you have to do now is format the drive using disk management.
    Start>run and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.

4. PODNickerz

Motherboard p4s5a dx+
    P4 1.8ghz
    ---

I dont know how the current hard drives are jumpered or else i will have to go through all the trouble to dismount it from the holder.
    I actually have the new hd connected to the middle and cd to the end but in the bios it says that the cd is the slave and hd is the master

Are you saying that i need to format the hd before i can see it in "my computer"?
    Because this hd was salvaged from a spare computer and it already has a os on it which i would prefer to keep intact.

Also, can someone explain to me what the difference between a primary and secondary cable/bus, and a master and slave is?

5. PODNickerz

Aha!
    Found the problem

I disabled the device 0 in the second ide channel a while back to speed up my startup but now i unabled it and it has detected the drive!

And i think the master is actually in the middle of the cable and the slave at the end...

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Nope. The master is connected to the end of the ribbon cable. It usually doesn't matter when you set up a master/slave configuration (depends on the motherboard/BIOS, but it certainly does with cable select.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice