1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Ubuntu on external hard drive

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by DylanB95, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DylanB95

DylanB95 Thread Starter

Hi
    Is it possible to install Ubuntu on a external hard drive such as the Toshiba canvio basics 1tb 3.0 external hard drive and use it as I would a regular hard drive, I only ask because I don't want to buy a new laptop hard drive incase my laptop motherboard is broken, it still turns on and Ubuntu loads from the USB I have without issue but I spilled coffee on the laptop the day after I bought it so just want a convenient hard drive incase this idea doesn't work and I would rather have an external hard drive for when I build my PC later on next year.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. arochester

arochester

3. tecknurd

tecknurd

USB in Linux is not reliable, so reliability does still depend on what your computer contains besides boot support from USB. I suggest learn GRUB's shell because there will be times that the device nodes might change. USB is good for short term use and not long term use.

I suggest something like the following.
    Code:
    https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

4. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    I'm sorry, but.....what ARE you running on about?

I've been using a Seagate Expansion Desktop 3TB external USB 3.0 hard drive for ages. Two partitions; one for general data, the other, flagged as 'boot' by gParted, for booting multiple versions of Puppy Linux.

I've been booting these Pups from that drive for over 2 years. Anyone who tries to tell me that 'USB is not reliable in Linux' is talking out of their backside as far as I'm concerned, 'cos they sure as hell don't know what they are talking about.

Please don't try to mislead other forum members by quoting complete drivel. Thanks.

Mike.

5. tecknurd

tecknurd

I have used Linux for 8 years and counting. During those years I have seen my USB devices on any of my computers having deinitializing and initializing logged. The USB devices include USB storage, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB video capture, and USB printer. The deinitializing and initializing may be stated as glitches do interfere when using the computer especially when it happens with mouse and keyboard. Also, people have experienced similar issues. Saying it doesn't happen to you, is being arrogant. You won't see these logged because the kernel won't be able to save it if /var/log is your USB storage device. If you store /var/log on RAM disk, you will see it. Another way is the log buffer. The kernel usually has a small buffer to keep logs though. In your case, you may be required to increase the size of the log buffer. I keep my computers running 24/7 and as many months as I can without a reboot. I do maintenance on my computers at least once a year. I'm not sure you are the same. I experience more problems than people that power off their computer at the end of the day although my computer's wear and tear are less.

I'm not dismissing installing Linux on USB. I'm saying that if installing Linux on USB and running off of USB for long-term use, you will have problems. Use Linux from USB for a few days and reboot or power down and repeat. A better way is to use Linux from IDE, SCSI, or SATA which are designed for always connected and hopefully you can use Linux for a very long time.

My experience of using Linux is editing two modules (drivers) to provide support and better support for my PCI and PCIe video capture devices. Also, I have done data recovery and fixed module install problems that I had. The Linux distributions that I have used through the years are Mandrake, Slackware, Redhat, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Linux Mint.

If you are here to blurp out names in public go somewhere else or do a PM.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I currently have 10 USB sticks with different linux live distros on them. I actually prefer running live to installing.

Truthfully, don't waste a 1TB portable hard drive on a linux install. Grab a 16GB or a 32GB USB stick. That's more than enough room.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice