Installing Updates NIGHTMARE!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MARLEY_

Just got a new computer two days ago: HP Pavilion with Windows 7. Installed MSN Messenger and Skype last night, used both programmes without any problems. However, when I shut down the computer, it started installing 1 of 40 updates. Three hours later, it was on update 14, so I left it on all night long. It's been 12 hours now, and it's still saying that it's installing update 14! I got desperate a few minutes ago and forced a shut down, but found that it didn't change a thing. I turned it back on a few minutes later only to find the same message: "Installing Update 14 of 40..." Does anyone know how to stop this, since it's obviously not working???

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Go to Control Panel > Windows Update. You should be able to see the list of updates, and can choose which ones to install or not install. You can also disable updates completely (but I don't recommend it).

Some updates are quite large too. All of the Windows 7 Ultimate language updates are about 1GB. Somehow I don't think I need updates for 34 languages though.

antech

Banned
Maybe the forced shutdown didnt take place at all!
Unplug the power plug and then restart

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online