1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Usb.inf

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CLAIRES CAKES, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CLAIRES CAKES

CLAIRES CAKES Thread Starter

Help Please I Have A Compaq And I Bought A Mfc685cw All In One Brother I Am Having A Problem When It Reads New Software Found And It SearchES FOR THE USB An Error Message Says That Cannot Install Hardware There Might Be A PROBLEM With My Hardware. I Called Everyone And Searched But My Pc Did Not Come With A Disk And In Device Manager There Is A Yellow Question Mark By The USB Device. If I Cant Install ThIs Machine Can You Recommend One With The Handset At Around A $200.00 Range?

Thank You So Much For Your Help!!!!!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Open the Control Panel > Folder Options > View and check "show hidden files and folders".

Now the directory c:\windows\INF should be viewable.

You say you have a problem with "USB.inf"

See if it is present and accounted for in that folder.

Other USB files that should be in that directory are usbstor.inf, usbprint.inf

There is a copy of USB.inf in this attachment link, just download and unzip it and copy it to the INF folder if you need it.

http://forums.techguy.org/attachments/92976d1164772536/usb.zip

3. CLAIRES CAKES

CLAIRES CAKES Thread Starter

Thanks For Your Help But I Have A Little Problem My Control Panel Does Not Have A Folders Option What Else Can I Do? How Do I Unzip A File?
    Thank You For Your Help.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's odd -- but just open up "Explorer" or "My Computer" and select "Tools > Folder Options > Vew" from there.

If you still cannot find it there may be a Security policy disabling it.

If that is the case, run regedit and navigate to the keys shown below:

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]

>>> In the right pane, look for the value "NoFolderOptions" as shown below, and right click on it and delete it and then reboot

Name: NoFolderOptions
    Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value: (0 = show options, 1 = hide options)

>> To unzip a file that has a .zip extension, just right click on it and select "Extract all" from the right click menu.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!