Installing vid card problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

InfectioN

i have a emachine with a built in vid card. its an nvidia.

i just bought a 6600gt and i'm trying to install it but i dont know how to uninstall the other vid card or disable it.. which ever. i think i need to disable it.

anyone done this yet or know what to do?

install your drivers for the new card but don't install the card yet, goto Device Manager & under Display Adapters, click on it then disable the device, assuming you have XP, it will prompt you to restart, click no then shutdown & install the card, restart, or you can install the card & drivers then disable the other "on-board" device. Reboot.

G'day InfectioN, when ever you work inside the "box" always ensure the power plug is removed from the machine.
The reason for this is that even if the machine appears to be in the switched off condition there is power on many of the card sockets.
This power loves chewing up video cards or motheboards, it has no respect for money and in fact prefers more expensive items.
"Whoops" is a term that startled users often use to describe their discovering this incredible wonder.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online