1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Video card drivers and games causing my PC to power off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Culain, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Culain

Culain Thread Starter

Over the last two weeks, whenever I tried to play a game such as WC3, Counter-Strike, or watch a movie etc my computer would often automatically reboot, or freeze.

I reinstalled the newest video card drivers for my computer, and that changed the daily crash to a crash every 30 minutes, and eventually every 5 minutes upon entering a game, or watching a movie on my computer.

I completely wiped my hard drive, reformatted, reinstalled windows and had no initial problems as I started putting software back on.

As soon as I installed the latest video card drivers my computer would start this odd cycle where the screen goes black and the computer itself increases its rpm and after a few seconds the computer goes back to normal. Then a few seconds later the screen goes black again, rinse and repeat.

I uninstalled the video drivers, problem goes away. I find older drivers, problem comes back. I use the auto find drivers wizard that XP uses and get an even older version which seems to work fine. Then I installed warcraft 3. As soon as i enter the game my computer freezes, I have to do a hard restart and when I get back to my desktop my computer starts giving me a black screen, increased rpm, back to normal. I uninstall Warcraft 3, problem stops, but I notice my video card drivers are no longer working.

I've tried pulling out 1 of my sticks of RAM and using 512 instead of 1 gig, swapped both out one at a time and changed the slots they were in. Didn't change anything.

before i reformatted i shut off auto restart to give myself the blue screen of death when an auto restart was about to happen. the screen said

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    STOP:0x000000D1, 0xFFFEB0E, 0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0xF86057C4

Fetnd5bv.sys Address F86057C4 base at F8605000
    Datestamp 41c11cde

Specs are
    Radeon 1950xt video card
    1gig DDR corsair ram 512x2
    Athlon 64 bit 3200+ processor
    Corsair vx550watt PSU

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Have you tried checking the power supply is working or it is compatible with your system? How about the CPU, is it getting cooled enough? Try a temperature program such as Core Temp from http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

3. Culain

Culain Thread Starter

I've had the power supply for a year, so it should be compatible.

The core temp was reading 54-59c running at 9-30%.

4. Culain

Culain Thread Starter

Reformatted, got some different drivers, cleaned some dust out. Crashes are gone, but i'm freezing up for 5-10 seconds now at intervals of 15 minutes to 6 hours depending.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!