Solved Installing Virtual Box broke my internet connection (Win 10)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

danuk459

Hi,

I installed VirtualBox onto my Windows 10 machine 2 days ago and I do remember during the installation that it said VirtualBox would amend some adapter settings but didn't think anything of it at the time.

My internet was fine after the install but last night I tried creating a VM, once I had completed that I closed down VirtualBox and noticed that my internet was going slow and it had diverted to the Wifi. As it was late at night I didn't do anything with it.

Today I have turned on my machine to find that the ethernet settings were no longer working (Which was why my PC has defaulted back to Wifi). So I tried the following troubleshooting steps and I still have not been able to resolve the issue, is anyone able to assist?

1) Ran TroubleShooter - It came back with the error '"Ethernet" does not have a valid IP Configuration' and it looks like trouble shooter can do nothing further to resolve this.

2) Disabled Wifi - to see if it would default back but did not

3) Uninstalled network drivers and reinstalled them - No change

4) Uninstalled VirtualBox from the machine and restarted PC - No change, still unable to connect to Internet

5) Ran CMD with ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew - This caused CMD to run three lots of errors:

1 - No operation can be performed while wifi media is disconnected

2 - No operation can be performed while the ethernet media is disconnected

3 - Error occured while renewing ethernet operation : cancelled by user

6) Checked Proxy settings - These are just set as the default, nothing manual has been changed or edited on these

7) CMD as admin - net winsock reset and net int ip reset

8) Checked the adapter settings - Both are set obtain IP and DNS Server automatically

9) Changed adapter settings to Googles - No effect

10) (Shouldn've mentioned this earlier but I have already tried restarting the router but as I'm the only one in the house having this issue, I know it is not this).

Now I've ran out of ideas as it looks like Googling this was not able to come up with suggestions that were directly related to this issue, more so to do with the internet within VirtualBox itself.

managed

Allan
Please run ipconfig /all and paste the result into your next reply (Click on top left, Edit > Select all, press Enter then Paste or Ctrl+V into the reply window).

In Device Manager is the Ethernet driver shown without any problems ?

danuk459

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.248]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mokuichi>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-2ISMJAB
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-2B-6E-8E-EC-53
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-7C-D1-FB-85-E3
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.62.220(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-2B-6E-8E-EC-52
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fda0:8d16:7cfd:4d00:659a:3099:2fbf:8eff(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fda0:8d16:7cfd:4d00:19e9:345a:8894:4aa3(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::659a:3099:2fbf:8eff%5(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.14(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 February 2018 15:50:38
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 February 2018 16:03:44
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 95169390
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-FB-AE-51-C0-7C-D1-FB-85-E3
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1%5
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Users\Mokuichi>

The Ethernet adapter in device manager is showing fine, not advising any errors and says its up to date. Thanks.

managed

Allan
In the ipconfig /all data it's showing a wireless connection that looks fine but the ethernet is not getting a proper IP4 address from the router, addresses beginning with 169 are assigned by default if that happens.

Try disabling the wireless then reset the router and hopefully ethernet will then get a working address from the router via DHCP.

danuk459

Thanks, that worked. But I didn't just reset the router, there is also another device (I'm not overly technical) that links the router through the wall to my PC, that was also not flashing so I reset that as well and its come back on.

Thanks for your help on this.

managed

Allan
Well you obviously did the right thing resetting both devices. :)

You're welcome.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!