1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Vista Beta 2

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tabvla, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

If this question has been asked previously can someone please direct me to the thread TiA :D
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have just received the Vista Beta 2 CD. Before I try to install I would be grateful for some feedback from the Forum.

System Info:
    • Processor: Athlon 64 3200+
    • MOBO: K8T Neo-FIS2R MS-6702
    • Chipset: Via K8T800
    • Sys Disk: SATA (RAID OFF)
    • Partitions: #1 - XP ~~ #2 - Linux ~~ #3 - Vista

I want to install the 64-bit version of Vista into partition #3 of the system disk.

Questions:
    • What are the install options when the CD runs?
    • Must XP be present on the installation machine or can Vista Beta 2 be installed as a stand-alone OS? (I have a spare blank disk)
    • I don't want to install on top of XP, will I be given the option to install into partition #3?
    • Will anything within the XP installation be affected? (I assume that the boot.ini file will be updated.. yes?)
    • My data is on a separate internal disk. Is this data at risk under Vista?
    • What are the implications of installing the 64-bit version with a 32-bit XP version?
    • Will I be able to uninstall without impacting on XP?

TiA

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

You obviously have the two disk set from MS (64 & 32) . As you are running a 32 bit machine already, then maybe that would be your best choice. I am still down with the unwashed at the 32 bit level. That release runs pretty well. When the DVD (I,m sure its not a CD) runs, which, by the way, it can do on a boot up or from XP as a setup (I reccomend the latter) It will ask for your KEY and then offer you the option of where you would like to install. Your "Vista" partition must have about 15 gigs if you want to try out your software. It will then require no more effort from you and will install on the Vista partition and set up a dual boot. Probably a triple boot in your case, but I have not tried that. In accordance with your own wish , do not install over XP. That also I have not tried but I read that it gives undesirable results. XP will remain intact and accessible. The boot.ini file will remain but is largely unused. Vista has its own new boot manager. Should you decide to boot back into XP, then , after Vista,s boot manager, you will once again be given your original options in the boot.ini.
    Vista should not interfere with you data in any way.
    Uninstall is a separate issue and is easily done without impacting your original XP installation. There is a "fine tuning" doc in the Vista forum which will give give you some useful info to squeeze a little more out of Vista, including how to uninstall it.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Uhaligani

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply.

* Yes, they are DVD's. Apologies for the typo.

* Vista partition is 40GB so that is OK.

You wrote...
    Does Vista automatically edit the local XP boot.ini file or is that a manual task?

You wrote
    Not sure if I am understanding this bit correctly. Assume Vista has been installed and all is OK. System is then shutdown. On the next startup what happens? Are there 3 entries in the boot.ini file so the boot options would then be 1. XP Pro 2. Linux 3. Vista. If this is not the case what happens on the next startup?

4. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Vista does nothing to the Boot.in, it remains in situi but is unused by Vista - DO NOT delete it after install.
    When you boot up your computer, after installing Vista, it first presents its boot manager. This will offer you the options, which it will have incorporated into its boot manager (XP etc) Acoording to which release you have, Vista may be call WINDOWS and XP will be called LEGACY or , in the latest release, EARLIER edition. If you choose to boot into XP, then it will direct the program to your old Boot.ini, where you will find it , from there on, unchanged.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. As a thought, during the Beta stages, it would probably have been better if Vista had added a line to the existing boot.ini file and then given the user a more familiar environment to select which OS to boot to. (Are we going to play with Vista or do some real work :) )

I realise that Microsoft emphasise that this is "Beta" product that should not be installed on a production machne. The reality is that not many of us have a few spare 64-bit machines lying around doing nothing ;) .... and that in many cases those of us that want to test-drive Vista will want to do so in 64-bit mode and on a machine that we use in a productive environment.

6. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

7. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Hi again Tabvla. I dont feel there is any crime in MS trying to improve their boot manager. Boot.ini, I agree, is pretty simple stuff and easy to mess with. On the other hand, improvement seems to mean more sophistication these days. Obviously there is a (small) threat from Linux products and they felt a better disk manager would be more in keeping with modern trends. Their dire warnings about separate machines. etc. which you refer to, are natural. MS are merely making sure you are aware of the cosequences of mixing OS,s on one machine. In fact, in my case, it has not presented even a whiff of a problem.
    Bottom line is that, if you are still a little apprehensive, dont try it. I am dedicated and am enjoying the experience, with all its perils and disappointments!

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Eriksrocks
    Thanks for the link to the other thread. Some interesting info there.

Uhaligani
    I agree that improvements are welcome. Thanks for your feedback.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice