1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Vista SP2

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rosiep, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rosiep

rosiep Thread Starter

I've got 64-bit Vista Ultimate, SP1. I have been keeping up with all the recommended Windows updates since I got my computer, but have never seen anything saying SP2 was available. Now I realize SP2 has been out for a long time (nearly a year) and I've done multiple updates since then. But my computer still shows that I've got only SP1. When I go to Control Panel Windows Update and check View update history or Installed Updates, I see all the updates I've done, none of which is KB948465 which is the number for SP2. I'm puzzled about why I never got SP2 automatically, but that's not my main question.

My question is: if I install SP2 now, will I be potentially wiping out some newer versions of some of the key OS files that were updated with some of the updates I've installed since SP2 shipped (5/25/2009)? Will I need to reinstall any of those updates after installing SP2, and will there even be a way to do that? What is the best way to go about ensuring that I have SP2 plus any updates that have come along since then?

-- Rosie

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

After you install SP2 Windows Updates will take care of the rest, you don't need to do anything.

Check to see if you have KB-947821 and KB-955430 installed, if not, this may be why you did not get notification of SP2 in Windows Updates.

3. oksteve

oksteve

I am about to install my sp2 also so you are not alone in not keeping up:)
    You don't HAVE to do anything at the moment, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    There are schools of thought that say there is not need to install sp2 and others who insist you do. As long as you are uptodate with your security features and your happy with the way your machine is running then your ok .
    However here are a couple of links that might help. http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/36596.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948465

I am getting sp2 because on reflection with all the research I have done I can't see it being detrimental to my system.

Its a matter of personal choice.

Let us now what you decide I will too, so others that follow may get a little help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice