1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Visual Studio 2005 on Vista

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by alexh1, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexh1

alexh1 Thread Starter

Hi,

Built a new computer, installed Vista, Office and Visual Studio 2005 in that order.

I like to keep the OS on it's own partition seperate from programs and data when possible (partly habit from Win NT days, also allows easy snap shot of OS etc.)

However, Visual Studio would not let me because it said that some resources that were already installed required that Studio be installed on C. This is despite the fact that Office was installed on D. It recommended I un-install the previously installed program and install Studio first.

I'm Ok with starting over but anyone know if the offending program was indeed Office?

Studio gave a hint what the resources were..I think it was SQL server.

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't imagine any benefits to installing either Office or Visual Studio on another logical drive. They're so deeply integrated into the registry, as well as the Windows directory tree, that it seems pointless. I suggest you get over that "habit". :)

3. alexh1

alexh1 Thread Starter

I think you're right - habit comes from the days of rapid OS rot when often even installing over the OS would not always cure the problem.

I also like to put my Outlook mail files on a seperate logical drive so they get backed up. Looks like Outlook 2007 finally allows that option but alas they didn't do it right - you get a second set of personal folders but the draft folder etc. are missing and you can't delete the original folders. I have read that the best solution here is to set for "leave on server" for 10 days or so and back up the mail files as much as possible.

I finally got a decent size hard drive - 500 GB. What size partition would you recommend for the OS+ Office+Visual Studio + 6 months of mail?

I'd reserve the rest for data.

And since we're on the topic of backups I just came from Win2k which did not have auto backup and I have had 3 drive failures in the last 6 years and I always ended up with some stale data. It's just not realistic to manually backup all your work every day (although I did back up code every day). I know there are incremental backup options but sometimes those don't even seem to work correctly at my workplace.

What backup strategy would you recommend for the following logic drives or directories?

C - OS, installed programs + mail.
    D - program downloads, various archived docs that rarely change. Say a few gigs worth.
    E- highly critical data that changes daily. Also, a few gigs.

My only current backup hardware is a second 100GB hard drive and a DVD writer. I have a second DVD reader so I could just leave a DVD RW disk in the writer at all times.
    I would prefer backups be automatic.
    From what little I have seen the Vista backup utility is light years ahead of Win2k's but one missing feature can make or break it IMO.

To facilitate the automatic backups I would of course have to leave the computer on however I would hope I could enable sleep mode and still have the backup work. I hate to leave my computer on 24 hours per day in full power mode for obvious reasons.

Thanks

4. alexh1

alexh1 Thread Starter

Hopefully I'm not getting too far off topic but I thought given such a complex question I would first answer my own question and others can then comment on the feasibility.

First of all, I didn't mention that I'm running a hardware RAID1. The intention of this is primarily to prevent down time in the event of a hard drive failure. However, since an off computer backup of drive C is not really practical and there's no critical data (except for e-mail) it will suffice.

For drive D, which has mostly archived docs, I would perhaps initiate a manual backup to DVD(s) every month or so. This would be to a dedicated DVD. If the size became unmanageable I suppose incrementals would be Ok here.

For drive E that has the critical data, I would implement daily automatic backups to DVD. I would also grab the e-mail file.

Is this a workable plan?

Thanks

PS. Now that I looked at the backup tool under the disk drive properties I see that it is identical to the one in control panel - meaning that it always backs up C drive. This will probably result in a backup that is much too large. It was actually more useful under Win2k IMO except that Win2k did not have auto backup.

This means that i cannot implement my backup plan as outlined with Vista tools. Should I look at third party tools and if so , which one?

5. JohnWill

Truthfully, I'd use something like an NAS external disk for the backups and automate them. I do my data backups every day, and my system disk dump once a week, all of these are automated processes.

Backup Applications For All Seasons:

For boot image backups, Acronis True Image, available at NewEgg for $30 downloaded, search for Acronis.

For file backups, Cobian Backup, available free from the author's site.

For synchronizing backup folders, SyncToy, available free from Microsoft.

6. alexh1

alexh1 Thread Starter

John,

Do you know if scheduled applications like backup programs, disk defrag, etc. will wake the computer from sleep mode to perform the task?

7. JohnWill

It depends on the sleep mode and the scheduler settings. There are settings to wake the computer up to run the task.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice