1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Volume Control

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Meh18, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Meh18

Meh18 Thread Starter

Apparently, Volume Control was not installed on my Windows XP. I went to the Sounds and Audio Devices and clicked on the "place an icon on the taskbar". The error message appeared and told me it wasn't installed. How do I install it from my Windows XP CD? Thanks for any help.

2. physician

physician

Its an SP2 bug I guess.

Put your windows CD in the CDROM
    1. Open a command prompt
    2. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive by typing

<cd drive letter>:

3. Navigate to the i386 folder by typing

cd i386

4. Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing

expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32

pay attention to the spaces and that should do it. reboot...doc

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=1156&page=4

3. Meh18

Meh18 Thread Starter

Volume Control was never installed on my computer. SP2 was installed when it was available. Since that is the case, could there be another solution?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What is the exact text of the error message you receive when trying to display the volume icon in the system tray? Is your sound card showing up in device manager without errors? Can you hear sounds on your computer?

5. Meh18

Meh18 Thread Starter

The message I get is: Cannot display Volume Control on the taskbar as the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. It doesn't install as it has never been installed in my computer. Yes, I can hear sounds. Sound card says without errors.

6. Jeckler

Jeckler

7. race_9togo

race_9togo

Thank you physician; succinct, to the point, and entirely successful...after 2 hours of fruitless websearching!
    Thanks again
    Race

8. schillij

schillij

Hi, I tried to follow your instructions, but I am getting the impression that after typing d: (CD drive) a black window should be opening. However, the normal Explorer opens and I always get stranded not being able to open an .ex File. I have been trying to get my taskbar icon back and was told that volume control is not installed. I do, however, find a file that, when clicked, opens the volume control panel.

9. schillij

schillij

Regarding my previous problem where the DOS window doesn't open when typing d: (my CD drive) into the run window, I typed cmd instead, which opened the DOS window on C:. I then redirected it with d: and enter. Then I could follow the instructions from Tech Guy. Thanks so much.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!