1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Win XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adznam, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adznam

adznam Thread Starter

During Installation of Win XP Pro in a hard disk.....i'm using a different M/bd....but then after finish installing, by using the same Hard Disk in assemble in different Mainboard. The problem is the Win XP Pro that i've installed previously cant read......it prompt "unmountable boot volume" then it shuts off automatically.

Is there any other way that i can make it run although on a different mainboard???

email me pls at : [email protected]

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

If you change a major component like a motherboard, you have to re-install the system from scratch.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The problem (apart from immediately requiring activation in a new system) is that all the wrong drivers are being force fed to the chipset etc. That causes critical things like the IDE controllers etc to fail. Hence the errors

You could immediately boot from the Windows CD and try a repair to see if that forces the correct drivers, but its not the way to do it for long term reliability.

4. Vlodec

Vlodec

Please tell me you're joking. I intend to upgrade motherboard and chip in the very near future and you're saying I'm going to have to completely restore ALL 50Gb of software and data files ??????? Surely even Microsoft wouldn't be so obtuse as to force such a thing on us.

:eek:

5. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Install to a 20Gb drive. Add software, etc. , then when all is done slave the old drive to it. You can always back up your data to Data DVDs if you have a DVD burner.

6. Vlodec

Vlodec

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion but it's kind of beside the point. There's not only all the software to reinstall, which is bad enough, there's also the 1,234,876,826 patches to download. I take comfort from imagining all the other people that Microsoft has pissed off with this, and the consequences that will result from it.

:rolleyes:

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Actually, if you apply SP2 immediately following the install, there are about a dozen updates to doiwnload.

The reinstall, including patches and programs should take less than 4 hours . . two if you have everything lined up right.

wrs

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

You just need to slipstream SP2 together with the XPCD to get a clean install and then there are only 1,234,876,825 patches to add. ;)

I have always found MicroSoft to be an interesting name. I wonder what it is really referring to?

Maybe they should have launched the company as a hardware computer maker and called it MaxiHard. ;)

I wonder if the settings and transfer Wizard can move the entire setup to another computer allow you to do the hardware swap and then transfer it again. Never had the opportunity to try it out.

Might be an idea to put that possibility as a question and see if anyone has experience of doing it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!