1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Win XP (SP2) on a clunker -- Incorrect Function

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Drummer, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drummer

Drummer Thread Starter

I have been trying to install Win XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 on my old puter. It's really slow and old - like 10 years old. I am planning on fixing it up.

I tried to install XP, and after it copied the files (which took forever) it went on to the install step. Every time, it gets stuck on a "fatal" error that says "Incorrect Function." Then I can look at some kind of log with a bunch of files and words I never heard of.

After I click ok, it restarts and does the same thing over and over, until I turn it off.

I tried to take out the CD, and it starts loading, then says I am missing files. It seems like there is nothing I can do. I contacted Microsoft, and they won't help me unless I give them 35 dollars. I'm a 15 year old kid and I don't really have much money.

Any help would be appreciated very much.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If your computer is 10 years old it won't take XP, much less XP with SP2.

3. Drummer

Drummer Thread Starter

Why not? I know somebody who put it on his, and his is also very old.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about some specifications for the machine in question? Specifically, the processor in use, the amount of memory, and the BIOS date.

5. Drummer

Drummer Thread Starter

I can't tell you that... I can't get to the properties because I can't open windows. I don't know how else to get to that information.

And if its not possible, what do I do to put on an older windows? Do I need to format my hard drive?

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Yes, you would need a fully-bootable startup floppy disk and a full version Windows 98 or 98SE CD to format ther hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows.

A 10-year old computer is NOT going to install and run Windows XP. A computer that old would have a processor speed of less than 200 MHz and less than 64 MB of RAM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. fleamailman

fleamailman

Hi, I think I can help you with your specs, but XP really does take a lot of space on a computer 1.5gb, and between you and me, sp2 often causes more problems than it is worth with its active X and firewall, one ends up so protected and slow that I would rather have the malware, (no just joking) This program is free stand alone and simple, please just download and double click on it, scan and paste your log details here.

sysspecs
    http://www.alexnolan.net/software/sysspec.htm

8. Drummer

Drummer Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I found a hard drive laying around an I am just going to use that.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Drummer:

Installing a larger, faster hard drive is NOT going to help the problem. If that computer is 10 years old, the processor is way too slow and there's way too little RAM. There's also sure to be other hardware incompatibility problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. fleamailman

fleamailman

These are those requirements before you start.

233 MHz CPU *
    64 MB of RAM (may limit performance and some features) *
    1.5 GB of available hard disk space *
    Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
    CD-ROM or DVD drive

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    freemailman:

Those requirements are the absolute minimum requirements that Microsoft posted when Windows XP first came out about 4-1/2 years ago, but it was soon learned that the requirements were much higher.

I did a test install of Windows XP on an old desktop with a Pentium II 300 MHz processor and 256 MB of PC100 SDRAM. There was nothing loading during startup and running in the background, except for the antivirus and firewall programs. It ran slow as molasses and had a lot of lag time with certain programs. I wound up formatting the hard drive and installing Windows 98SE back in it.

Look at the hardware specs in my signature and you'll see what I'm running Windows XP on, and have no trouble with it.

12. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If you want a good OS on that old clunker then install a Linux/BSD Distro. Linux will kick some serious Windows butt on an old clunker like that.
    (Not to mention that they are all free!)

13. fleamailman

fleamailman

"Thanks favallee, will adjust my canned" said the goblin.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!