1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Win10 Home on Secondary Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Desperado1001, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Desperado1001

Desperado1001 Thread Starter

I purchased Win10 Home in order to install it on the secondary drive of my Dell Precision 6700M. There are a few videos there, as well as a file named, msdia80.dll. What is this file, and should I delete it? Or can I install this OS without affecting it?

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Is it a new drive you purchased? The "secondary" one?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell Precision M6700 WorkStation 17.3" Laptop (support site)

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. Desperado1001

The secondary drive came w this unit, which is a refurb, BTW.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

msdia80.dll is installed when you install C++
    What exactly are you attempting to do ie have a dual boot, single boot with win10, what?

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    If it's a "refurb" drive then it may have remnants of files from the previous user. Seeing as it's a secondary I would say to format it and install your OS that you're wanting to use on it.

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I agree. More info would be helpful.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. You can install win10 on whatever drive you want however do understand that win10 will write some boot files to the root of the boot device ie the first drive in the system. This will overwrite whatever boot files currently reside on said drive. With linux, you can choose where to install the boot files however windows does not give you that option.

9. Desperado1001

My work environment where I use the unit each day is hostile. I am forced to log on to their network so I can access my Adobe Creative Cloud suite. Therefore, I thought I might use the secondary for this purpose only, and boot up at home w the primary drive I'd previously been using at work. My hope is to disconnect certain hostile co-workers from any nefarious activities which might have been taking place in my primary drive.

10. Desperado1001

crjdriver made an interesting point. He said the secondary drive may still access some files from the primary drive
    Ahh...I see. When I told the IT guy (he of questionable intent...it's complicated) of my plans, HE also suggested using linux on the secondary. I distrusted this immediately.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since this is a work system, contact your IT dept. We do not provide assistance with work computers. Just as a side note, where I work, installing software on a company system is taken
    VERY seriously and carries quite a penalty ie days off or even termination.

12. Desperado1001

This is not actually a work sys. It is my personal computer I am allowed to use
    . My workplace is very loosely governed, and we have only one tech, no department. He is an individual who can pretty much do whatever the heck he wants.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Still it is a system being used on a work network. I am going to close this thread. If you want it reopened, contact the admin of this site and they can make a determination of whether we can assist or not.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice