1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Win98SE over Win98 CHINESE???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by avatar1, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avatar1

Hi Guys,

I have tried to read through the reinstalling Win threads but just wanted to check with you which is the best way forward in this particular instance.

To cut a long story short I am soon going to the other side of the world from where I am currently and have been offered the use of a comp to get on the net.

The problem is that the Win98 currently installed on it is the Chinese version.

I plan to take my legal copy:) of Win 98SE and change it over.

My questions are:

Firstly is it possible that the Chinese version has the English version embedded in there somewhere and if so where would that be?

I am assuming that everything else other than the Win 98 on there will be in English so would an upgrade/replacement of the OS be simpler than reinstalling?

To fresh reinstall am I right in thinking what I need to do is have my Win 98SE boot disk, Format C: from the DOS prompt, reboot with my boot disk in, and then follow the instructions on my Windows CD?

From the above, you will gather I am not too confident with what I need to do so any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'll need to do a FDISK and Format and then Install from scratch. So you need to boot off the CD or Floppy and go to a command prompt and type FDISK and delete all the partition and create a new one, reboot and again the command prompt type Format C: and then start the 98 install by typing D:\setup or selecting the Install option from the bootmenu.

After Windows is done installing you'll need to install the correct drivers for the hardware in the computer. These you can get either from the computer manufacturer if its a brand name like HP or from each individual component manufacturer's website like Nvidia or Creative.

3. avatar1

Thanks for your reply Triple6

Is it possible to search for *.drv ???? or something else in order to copy all the drivers which are currently there so I can reinstall them after the new Win 98 installation?

Also since it is in a country where the internet connection is prone to dropping, is it possible from some site for me to copy all the critical updates beforehand and update my newly installed Win 98SE via a CD rather than direct from the MSN site??

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Microsoft site has a corporate end to it which allows you to download all the updates and save them. However you still have to download them. They are not essential to run windows and I don't remember the link off hand.

Regarding the drivers, there are programs that can copy out existing drivers, but it may not work. Best to download new drivers. If the computer is a name brand then this is easy.

5. avatar1

Thanks again Triple6 will look into what you have suggested!

:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice