1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows 2000 on a WD external USD hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vpltech, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpltech

vpltech Thread Starter

Hello techies,

I have difficulty installing Windows 2000/XP pro on a WD external HD. When I boot with Win XP CD (bootable), it recognizes ( after the usual screens of loading drivers, detecting the existing os, etc) the WD hard drive and indicates the space on it, along with the other internal HD. But when I attempt (it lets me select that partition for installation) to select that partition for Win XP installation, it errors out saying "the computer program required to access the drive" is not available to continue with the installation. What I want to do is make this PC a dual boot with the second os on the external HD. Any help, will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    vpl

2. Yakiba

Yakiba

I found this somewhere:

"Western Digital does not provide technical support for booting your computer using an external hard drive. If you intend to make a copy of your boot drive, or install your operating system, please use a second internal drive (EIDE or Serial ATA), rather than an external drive. "

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/359212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice