1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows 2000 on laptop dilemma

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by amagab, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amagab

amagab Thread Starter

Okay, this is a big headache but I am determined to find a solution so hopefully you can help me out.

I want to install Windows 2000 on a Fujitsu laptop that does not have a CD-Rom and no floppy.

I have been trying to install it on another laptop and swap hard drives but failed. If I install it on the other laptop on as a NTFS partition and then put the HD in the Fujitsu it will not boot at all....just a blinking cursor. If I install it on a FAT partition I get the error message "Ntldr is Missing".

What can I do? How can I get a working Windows 2000 onto this lonely Fujitsu?

many thanks!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Get a USB cd/dvd-rom drive and then install away.

3. amagab

amagab Thread Starter

I tried doing that but half-way through the install when it needs to reboot it does not recognize the USB CD. In the bios the only options to boot is from Floppy or HD.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't do it.

5. amagab

amagab Thread Starter

Can't do what? Are you saying there is no way I can install Windows 2000 on my Fujitsu laptop?

How about over the network?

Thanks!

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Okay. I'll edit my statement. You may be able to do it, but it won't be easy, and it will take a serious amount of time. If that doesn't daunt you, go for it.

Sure, it's possible to install over the network. You'll need a network boot disk (which aren't easy to configure), and you'll need to share the CD drive on the networked computer (not too difficult).

I've seen people spend weeks trying to get this to work, and very few are successful. If you really want this laptop up and running, buy a replacement CD drive for it.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I have a better suggestion. It might cost a few bucks but they will be able to give you the answer. Make a call to the manufacturer's tech support for the computer or their web site for instructions on how to do this they might just have an answer.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't think that's worth the money. Fujitsu is not going to be able to help you install an operating system on a laptop for which you have no drives.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice