1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows 7 alongside Linux (Mint) (dualboot)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zirocket, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zirocket

Zirocket Thread Starter

How would one go about installing Windows 7 (assuming one has a legitimate Windows 7 CD) on a dual boot, on a computer that has only Linux (precisely Linux Mint) as an OS?

Recently, a nasty virus on my Windows 7 partition basically destroyed its boot system (dual-boot with a ~500 GB hard drive, 30 GB allocated to Linux Mint 17.1). Upon restarting the computer, the computer would become stuck on a blank screen with a flashing cursor on the top-left; not even the GRUB menu would show up (and F11 recovery option is basically obliterated). Currently, I have/I am using a USB with Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela burnt onto it.

Rather than go through the hassle of repairing the Windows system, I am considering installing Linux Mint as the sole system (thus formatting the drive), and later installing Windows 7 as a dual-boot system. My main concern is if that is possible.

2. renegade600

renegade600

it can be done as long as you have a legit full retail version of win7. you just create a partition for your win7 and install in it. Most likely it will break the grub so you will have to repair it.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Just don't make the mistake I did and try to hide the Linux partition from the Windows install.
    Windows has a nasty habit of using ANY unrecognised space on disk as work space.

4. KnuckIes

KnuckIes

It's possible to install Windows alongside Linux. You might have to refresh the grub menu for Windows to appear there if Windows is installed first then Linux (GRUB will overwrite the Windows bootloader). Just know that if Windows is installed after Linux, Windows will overwrite the GRUB bootloader with the Windows bootloader so that Linux can no longer boot. If that happens, burn Boot Repair Disk to a CD or USB drive and use it to restore GRUB, then refresh the GRUB bootloader once in Linux so that Windows 7 will appear there.

5. walla299

walla299

Its possible to setup a dual boot with Windows 7 and Linux. I used the directions found at this site to do so with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop originally. Everything fits nicely on the machine's 750GB HD. The Ubuntu install is up to 14.04 now, but it still uses the Windows boot loader so you don't have grub getting hosed by Windows.

Directions for the install can be found here: http://linuxbsdos.com/2012/05/17/how-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-and-windows-7/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1151966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice