1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows 7 on a Second HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Godfree, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Hello All,

I was thinking of buying windows 7 and a new HDD for myself for xmas and I wanted to install 7 on the new HDD. I currently have XP installed on my HDD at home and I was wondering if it were possible to install 7 on the new hard drive I buy and still have access to the files and programs on the other drive? Will the other programs be able to run from another hard drive or will they NEED to be installed on the new one?

Trying to keep from having to install a ton of programs again.

Thanks!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

All the software that was installed under XP is linked to that OS and will have to be reinstalled to run under Windows 7.

When you install a program under XP it creates registry entries that allow it to work. If you then boot the PC into Windows 7 you will be able to see the software within XP but you will not be able to run it.

3. Godfree

Godfree Thread Starter

Alright great thanks, I had a feeling this was the case but wasn't sure if there was a way to merge registries safely or anything of the sort, might not bother with the new HDD then :p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice