1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows 7 on new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HolyAtheist, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HolyAtheist

HolyAtheist Thread Starter

Hello all, I have a Dell Studio 1558 which recently had a hard rive error code 2000 I think. I had to replace it today. Replacement went smoothly I think, but now that Im trying to install the operating systems I ran into a roadblock and need some help.

Some background info: I brought the laptop directly from Dell.com, used the Drivers and Utilities CD which apparently it says it also has the OS for my laptop. Will I need to buy a Windows 7 premium or something or am I just doing something wrong?Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The Drivers ad Utility disc usually does not contain the operating system. What is usually on that disc is what it says, the required drivers for the laptop and utilities normally installed on the computer from the factory. Is the computer booting to the Drivers disc? what message do you get when you try to boot to the CD? BTW Windows 7 would not be on a CD, but rather a DVD disc.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you have an incomplete set of disc, Dell's generally have a recovery partition and require the end user to make a set of recovery disc or give the option to order a set of discs. If you don't have the required discs the you should order them from Dell for a small fee rather then buy a copy of Windows.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you do not have a disc labled "Dell Reinstallation Disc", You can request a replacement instalation disc here:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice