1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu Linux

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by itrocks4u, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itrocks4u

itrocks4u Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm planning on purchasing the following laptop:

Ubuntu Linux version 10.04
    Intel® Celeron™ Processor ULV U3400 (2M Cache, 1.06GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
    Aberdeen Silver for WLAN
    13.3 inch HD WLED Display (1366x768) with Anti-Glare
    2.0MP Webcam with Digital Mic for Win 7
    2.0GB, DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, 1 DIMM
    250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Intel GHA HD)
    Dell Wireless 1702 802.11n/BT3.0 Combo

For the $450 price point, I really like what is being offered, except that I don't want Linux as the OS and would rather install Windows 7. I recently did purchase Windows 7 so I was wondering if it is possible to install Windows 7 in place of Linux OS that it comes with?

Since there is not CD/DVD-Rom, what would be the best option to do it?

In addition, is the process of deleting Linux and installing Windows 7 pretty complicated? I just dont want to mess up the laptop, like drivers etc. If Windows 7 can be installed, only then will I purchase this laptop.

I've been trying to find a proper instructions link to do the above, but no such luck so far.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

2. Window

Window

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Question 1: have you actually tried Ubuntu? If you have a system built for Linux then it should work with Linux.
    For example one big worry about Ubuntu is that your Wireless won't work; hardly a problem for this system.
    Likewise there will be Linux versions of any drivers. I cannot guarantee that Windows drivers will be available, although Windows will have its own generic drivers to use if the need arises.
    Linux also works faster on lower spec machines than Windows.
    In short, though Linux has its limits, it is still a viable option to consider. If you do want to look into using it then you'd have to perform a dual boot install to put Windows 7 on the computer, leaving Ubuntu in place. Otherwise simply format the whole drive, and barring unforeseen incompatibilities you'll have the whole thing for Windows in no time.

As to installing windows 7 without a CD drive, have a look here for a guide to installing from a USB flash drive. Note that it does assume that you have access to a working Windows computer. Alternatively you could get a DVD drive as Window suggests.

@Window: Friendly tip. The quote answer notation is effective, but you don't have to bold your response. You can use the {/quote} tag to stop the text that you're quoting and the {quote} tag to start it again once you've written what you want to write. Both tags actually use square brackets [] but I had to use curlies for the example to avoid having them parsed.

4. itrocks4u

itrocks4u Thread Starter

When installing Windows 7, you have the option of deleting the Linux partition(s), then create the partition and format it for Windows 7 using NTFS and you should be all set to go. The Windows 7 drivers for the hardware devices need to be installed as well but I can assure that Windows will install them automatically for you.

You lost me there. This is all instructions or do I have to do this manually.

5. itrocks4u

itrocks4u Thread Starter

I wouldn't mind using Linux, but this is mainly for my dad who has always used Windows. I'd try to explain to him Linux but he wouldn't like the change. Even going from XP to 7 would be a big change for him lol.

That's why I want it to have Windows instead of Linux

6. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Given that you know your dad better than I do, I have to concur. Have you looked at the link I gave you, it tells you how to install Windows using a USB flash disk rather than a CD drive.
    There is also a guide on the same site that explains how to use the official tool for this purpose. However that depends upon having an Iso file of the CD.
    In practice the installation disk (or possibly flash drive in this case) does a very good job of keeping things simple. The 7 installer is point and click.

7. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

IIRC you choose 'create a new partition' followed by 'format it using NTFS' and Setup does the rest for you. As for the drivers, that depends on whether or not Windows can find appropriate drivers for your hardware. It's been some time since I've installed Windows on hardware for which it couldn't find the drivers via Windows Update. Generic drivers (which Setup should install automatically if it can't find ones specific to your hardware) should suffice to get Windows running but you might not have full functionality of the hardware. If you have enough functionality to connect to the Internet then hopefully Windows Update will install the specific drivers, pretty much automatically. If not then you'll need to find & install them manually.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have any problems removing the Linux partitions or getting the entire drive unallocated so it is clean, use this to remove everything from the drive before booting the 7 DVD:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

For 450 bucks you can buy a laptop with 7 already on it..and get dual core..larger screen as well.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would be hesitant to run Windows Vista or 7 on a Celeron; I want dual core (at least), as Brett suggests.

Have you checked to make sure there are Windows 7, or at least Vista, drivers for that machine?

Do you have a legitimate Windows 7--a retail not "upgrade" version?

For almost any PC you can find a Linux distribution that will work well, but your best results with Windows are with a machine that is designed for it and comes with the desired version pre-installed.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice