1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows 7 Pro 64 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LexC, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LexC

LexC Thread Starter

I've purchased a Windows 7 Pro Upgrade 64 bit couple of months back, and I'm about ready to install it. However, I can't seem to be able to install XP on my new PC, and I only have a copy of Vista 32bit.

I do not have a second PC to test it on, so I was wondering if someone could give me an answer.

Would I be able to use a copy of Win7 64bit Upgrade on top of a Vista 32bit?

Thank you.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

To install an upgrade version, you'll need either Windows XP or Windows Vista installed on your computer first. Doesn't matter if it is 32 or 64.

3. Samsung

Samsung

wrong
    can't upgrade from 32 to 64. Must be same architiecture
    Also you don't need a system installed to do a clean install. You may have trouble with drivers if your system is really new but most times not. You have a valid key and an authorized system

[advice to pirate Windows deleted by mod]

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    LexC:

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer that you're wanting to install Windows 7(64-bit) in?

Is that computer currently running Windows Vista(32-bit)?

-------------------------------------------------------

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You are correct from the Stand Point of you can do the In Place Upgrade install to keep all your software installed. It will do a Custom Install in this instance. But he wasn't asking about that. In order for you to use an Upgrade install disk to put Windows 7 on your computer you need to have XP or Vista installed. You can certainly use a Windows 7 64 bit upgrade disc to install ontop of a computer that has XP 32bit on it. It will do a custom install versus an In Place Upgrade like you are thinking with the 32 to 64 difference.

6. LexC

LexC Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3568 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, 1280 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1907626 MB, Free - 1398816 MB; D: Total - 99 MB, Free - 61 MB; F: Total - 476813 MB, Free - 60272 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., SABERTOOTH P67
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated and Enabled

At the moment I am running my other Windows 7 Pro Upgrade but this one is 32 Bit. I used my Vista Ultimate 32Bit to Upgrade. I just wanted to know if I can still use that 32Bit Vista to upgrade to 64 Bit Win 7 Pro. I do not need to save anything, as I've already backed up all my Documents on an external HDD. I've also got a total of 8GB of RAM, so I want to utilize it all with the 64 Bit OS.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  8. LexC

LexC Thread Starter

hehe, yea, I guess I could have just done that :) Thank you

9. DVOM

DVOM

I know that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that you could double install Win 7 legally. You just needed to own the qualifying OS.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You can use the same Windows 7 DVD in more than one computer, but you need a separate 25-digit serial number to activate it in each computer.

You cannot use the same serial number in more than one computer.

The serial number is what you pay for when you buy the DVD.

--------------------------------------------------------

11. DVOM

DVOM

flavallee, if that was a response to me, that wasn't what I meant.

This is what I was getting at:

http://www.osgui.com/component/cont...-from-upgrade-disc-double-install-method.html

Basically it involves:

1) Install Win 7 as a "custom install", put in your user and other info but don't put in your registration key.

2) Now reinstall Win 7 over the top of the first install but this time choose the "upgrade" option. Enter the registration key at the proper time and you're good to go.

Of course, the legality of this method depends on whether you own a qualifying OS to upgrade.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I misunderstood you. When you said "double install Windows 7 legally", I was assuming you were wanting to install it in 2 computers.

i know nothing about the install method at that site.

-------------------------------------------------------

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice