1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by firstpcbuild, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firstpcbuild

firstpcbuild Thread Starter

*I am only speaking of what I think I know, if something I say doesn't make sense, then its possible I'm interpreting my situation wrong"

I'm currently in the middle of trying to install Windows onto a SSD.

I just bought
    "Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Full Version"

I downloaded an ISO file which was supposed to be used to write a file to a DVD-RW, then boot from the DISK and install a new copy of windows onto the SSD.

My first obstacle was formatting the SSD from a MBR to a GPT. Now when I boot the disk and start the installation process, it's saying that the file is corrupt or missing. I am in the process of re-downloading the ISO file and re-installing it into a new DVD-RW (120 minutes, 4.7GB, 4x speed, 1x-4x compatible, STAPLES brand).

Just wanted to post my problem here and see if someone can give me insight and point me in the right direction, thanks!

Sincerely the first time pc builder
    -Hamsauce

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3539 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (907 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free); E: 232 GB (232 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z97-E/USB 3.1

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't need to format the drive before starting the installation, the Windows installation will partition and format the drive for you in the correct way. I would remove all partitions from the drive, use http://www.dban.org/download or the SSD manufacturer's secure erase utility to wipe the SSD to a clean slate. It also appears you have multiple drives in the computer, disconnect all but the SSD before doing the erase and keep it disconnected until after Window is installed on the SSD.

Are you burning the ISO directly to the disc or burning it as an image? You need to use a program like ISO burner: http://www.freeisoburner.com/

If you have 4GB or bigger USB stick you can use that instead of a disc. In that case you would use the Windows 7 USB Tool: http://wudt.codeplex.com/

3. firstpcbuild

When I am trying the install I only use the SSD, nothing else plugged in.

I'm trying to install the ISO directly to the disk I think, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 X64 ISO Image is the file. And after reading your question I think its burning as an image. When I get home I will download the isoburner and try that!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you bought this on-line, can you provide us with a webpage link to it?
    Your log shows you currently have Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit installed in the 931 GB SATA hard drive in that computer. Is that correct?
    Is the 232 GB drive the SSD hard drive?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  5. firstpcbuild

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I seriously doubt that this is a legitimate "Microsoft Authorized Partner" site.

Capture.JPG

I'll leave you with Rob.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. firstpcbuild

Awesome

Well after some light research I see what you mean. I just got a little trigger happy when I finally found windows 7. Darn.
    Is there actually a REAL Windows 7 64bit available out there? If not, I guess I'll have to settle for windows 10.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 (support and driver downloads site)
    That motherboard has 4 DIMM slots and supports up to 32 GB(8 GB X 4) of DDR3-1600 RAM.
    If you plan to install a 64-bit Windows operating system, add at least another 4 GB of RAM to the 4 GB already in it.
    Besides that being one big advantage of having a 64-bit operating system, it's one of the most cost-effective ways to improve speed and "snappiness" in a computer.

A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit is hard to find and will probably cost you more than Windows 10 Pro 64-bit does.
    Although Windows 7 will be supported until January 2020, Windows 10 is the operating system of the future, so this is a good time to get familiar and proficient with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice