1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Idafolde, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Idafolde

Idafolde Thread Starter

Hi!

I have bought the windows 8 as an upgrade to my old windows xp on my old Dell Dimension 5000.
    But I have a problem, the only place I get to when I am turning the computer on is error code 0x00000050. I have read on the internet and I know how to solve it, but my problem is that I cannot get to safe mode. I have been trying f8 more than a thousand times and all of the other options there but I get nowhere!!
    Please help ...

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have to press F12 to bring up the Dell BIOS boot and then you can choose to to boot from the DVD drive.

Your optical drive must be a DVD drive in order to boot the Windows 8 disc.

Also be aware that this is not an upgrade in the sense it keeps all your programs, settings, and data. It will backup your data if it can, and you'll be starting fresh with Windows 8 without any of your old programs or settings.

However I'd strongly advise against installing Windows 8 on such an ancient computer.

It has a single core Pentium 4 processor, and unless you've upgraded the memory it came with only 512MB of RAM which isn't enough to run Windows 8, you realistically need 2GB of RAM to run it decently well and 4GB or more to run it smoothly. You also need a dual core or better processor for optimal performance. Additionally the integrated Intel 915G graphics that were standard in this system are not supported in Windows 8 so you'll have poor graphics and the Modern interface may not work at all.

Your best bet would be to fix or reinstall Windows 8 or replace the whole system and return or sell the copy of Windows 8.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree with my colleague Triple6
    and even if you get it to run it will NEVER run satisfactorily

What did the Windows 8 upgrade advisor, if you used it, report

The error code is page fault in non paged area and means in simple terms, that more than likely a driver problem has occurred on boot.

I am a little unsure as to how far you have got, but to get to safe mode, although I do not think it will help, PROVIDING this is not a BSOD which simply then reboots, you press windows key and C, you then click power, you then holld shift key down, and click restart, that presents you with advanced options including Safe Mode.

I think the best advice is to start again, bearing in mind that like my colleague I think you will be presented with difficulties even if you get it to run.

That chipset the Intel 915g Express - is old now and see this from Intel
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915g/sb/CS-030061.htm?wapkw=82915g

4. Macboatmaster

Idafolde
    It is some six days, since you asked for help and advice
    I wondered if you made any progress, even if that was to decide that the computer was not really suitable for Windows 8

A reply would be greatly appreciated.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Almost all the device drivers for the Dell Dimension 5000 desktop are dated 2005 - 2006 and are for Windows XP.

I doubt that the upgrade advisor was run before an attempt was made to install Windows 8.

And I doubt that we'll get a reply.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. Macboatmaster

So do I
    or at least I doubt if it reported favourably.
    I thought I would just ask Idafolde, to give chance for a response, before I unsubscribed from the topic

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice