1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing windows 98 se

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Allen12, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allen12

Allen12 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, hope you can help?
    I have tried to reformat my hard drive. well I think I did . when i load the boot disk and run fdisk it shows a drive and it seems to be already potitioned, but Im sure that I did wipe the petition first then formatted .I succesfully transferred system information. and now when i try to load in safe mode it tells me that windows by passing your startup files. then brings me to a black screen reading microsoft (R) windows 98
    C:>
    I hope I made sense of this mess. What Now ????

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Why do you need to get into safe mode?
    You can't get in until after you have installed windows. Have you done that yet?

3. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

To format a drive ......

Before you start, make sure that this is something that you really need to do. Something as drastic as formatting a drive is pretty severe. Also, I am assuming that you do not have multiple hard drives or existing secondary partitions.

If you have ANY doubt. DO NOT DO THIS!

1. You, of course, have a backup copy of ALL of your data and 3rd party software, right?
    If not, then don't go any further. Just pretend this message doesn't exist, okay?

2. You have the Windows98SE CDROM and have experienced no errors using it. There are no deep scatches or peanut butter on the CDROM. And please make sure you write down your Windows98SE OEM number. (you probably have a CD that says for installation on new computers only, so you will need this number)

3. You have a TESTED bootable floppy diskette with the following additional files;
    FORMAT.COM
    FDISK.COM

4. You have full access to your BIOS / CMOS settings and can change the boot up sequence to a: (floppy) then d : (CDROM) then c: (hard drive)

Boot to the floppy disk.
    Run FDISK to partition your C: drive, if desired, and make it the primary partition. The instructions are fairly plain.
    Changing partition data will erase any info Refer to the first few lines of this email.
    After the partitions are set how you want them;
    at the a> prompt type format c: then enter.
    Confirm that you want to do this (if you REALLY, REALLY DO)
    ..... formatting ......
    when complete your C: drive will be blank. Completely blank.

Next, you will need to access the CDROM drive. If it is not available at this point, then you will need to reboot with the floppy popped out.

When you get access to the CDROM drive letter (d : )
    then you will type setup c: then enter.

This will send you to the CDROM's setup screen. Follow the instructions and you should be good to go from there.

4. Hairy

Hairy

Allen12...if you reformatted, you need to boot to floppy with your EBD, select start with cdrom suport,
    change the A:\ to E:\ and type setup to reinstall Windows

this is assuming you only have a "C" and "D"-cdrom

just a quick correction there, Lan....
    if you fdisk after you format...you'll have to format again - it's fdisk, then format

the cdrom is "E" with a standard win98 bootdisk ("D" is RAMDRIVE)

5. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Thank you Hairy.
    I stand corrected.

I shall edit the posting so nobody has to do that twice.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice