1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing windows from another hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GardenHose, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GardenHose

GardenHose Thread Starter

More specificaly i have an iso image on one of my two drives. I want to wipe the primary one and do a fresh install, but is there a way to mount the file during boot or something similar to acomplish this task? Google's only turning up bits and pieces but nothing substantial and most of it is linux related.

EDIT: (Current os is XP and image in question is XP too)

2. GardenHose

GardenHose Thread Starter

anyone?

3. Colossus610

Colossus610

As far I know, there is no simple way to boot from a floppy and access that image like a normal cd, the only I can think of is to expand that disk image on the second hard drive, so basically make it like you just copied the files off the cd to that second hard drive and you would have to find an NTFS boot disk that could read that second NTFS formatted hard drive, if NTFS it is.
    If that second hard drive is FAT32, any normal Win98 or WinMe boot disk will work just fine, there are WinXP boot floppies, but it involves 6 floppies to create an actual WinXP boot/install environment.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/369546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice